Best bang for the buck for a scope for my .338 Lapua

giannid

So I'm purchasing a custom built .338 Lapua for a big game rifle and for some long range target plinking. I've had my share of mid to high range scopes like Zeiss, Leupold, Nightforce and Vortex. Not sure what's out there these days and really don't have a good shop where I can go look through a bunch of them and see which one I prefer. Would like something that has 20 power or more as I'd like to take a shot at some thousand yard plinking when i get a load developed. Locally, I found a guy that has a Nightforce C236 which is a NXS 5.5-22 by 56 that wants $1500 for the scope. It's a discontinued model but seems to be a well respected scope. I'm just wondering if I can get into something new that's a close to the same quality and the glass is as good. I do want something with open turrets as I'll obviously be dialing in long range shots. Any advice from the experts? :)

I have several NF and have tried vortex. Like NF reticle better. Shoot on my 338Lapua and my 338 Allen. Never a zero problem

I think the best bang for buck is the sightron SIII 6-24. Myself and my shooting buddies have them on everything from 6mm to 50 BMG without any problems. To my eye the glass is as good as my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56. I would definitely get the illuminated reticle for hunting. The non-illuminated reticle is fine enough that it is hard to see in low light.

Have you looked at the Buris Verasity4-20x50.
I just got one and it is a super clear scope plus for hunting goes to a lower power for moving or closer shots. You should be able to get one brand new for 1000or maybe less. Mine was 1200 here in Canada and the dollar difference kills us.

Looking for options. Anyone have good luck with the Zeiss HD 5 models? They have a 5-25 model.

I think the best bang for buck is the sightron SIII 6-24. Myself and my shooting buddies have them on everything from 6mm to 50 BMG without any problems. To my eye the glass is as good as my Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56. I would definitely get the illuminated reticle for hunting. The non-illuminated reticle is fine enough that it is hard to see in low light.

My brother has this scope on his Lapua, it really is an impressive piece of glass, definitely feels more expensive than it was.

Have you looked at the Buris Verasity4-20x50.
I just got one and it is a super clear scope plus for hunting goes to a lower power for moving or closer shots. You should be able to get one brand new for 1000or maybe less. Mine was 1200 here in Canada and the dollar difference kills us.

I have this same scope on my 264 wm, they can be had for around $650 in the us from sportoptics.com . Very nice scope for that money!

Don't rule out the new Vortex PST Gen II 5-25x50mm. I have a couple of first generation PSTs and they are very high on the bang-for-the-buck scale. The Gen II scopes have some nice upgrades but they are a little heavy - about the same as a Nightforce at 32 oz.

In the "Precision Rifle Blog" author/engineer/owner Cal Zant did an exhaustive research a couple of years ago on tactical scope quality.

Of the 18 scopes tested Cal rated the Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 as #9 and as Best-for-the-Money".

For your .338 LM I'd get the Bushnell XRS scope that goes to 30x. A long distance scope for a long distance rifle. A bit more magnifiction for a bit more money than the ERS but still a best buy.

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.