Scope; Best Bang For Your Buck?

CaptnC

I know all the big name scope are the best, but one top tier scope is almost equal to a couple budget rifle builds at my house. I've got some very good shooting rifles that I've put together on Mauser and Savage actions that shoot very good...a lot better than factory guns.

But I want to would like to get into the long range game and still have mad money for more builds as I find deals.

So far I've had great success using Millet TRS=1 4x16x50 side focus 30mm tube <$300.00. I have not tried to "dial in" any shots, but it seems to holding a great zero on the two guns I have them on.

I am in the middle of a Savage LA build that will need a scope in the near future...barrel is next purchase (still mixed on caliber, but a 6.5 something). It will for sure be used out to 1K target and hunting.

Two Questions;

Anyone here using the above mentioned Millet?

Is there something better/more reliable in the same price, power, feature range as the Millet?

I'm just red neck who doesn't live in the woods...who has too many guns...doing it on a budget.

Thanks guys!

I know all the big name scope are the best, but one top tier scope is almost equal to a couple budget rifle builds at my house.

Top tier money does not mean top tier scope. After having four Swarovski z5 5-25X52, I wouldn't try another unless someone gave it to me. Maybe if I just sighted it in and didn't twist it would be fine. But that's not what I bought. I purchased a ballistic turret model.

But I want to would like to get into the long range game and still have mad money for more builds as I find deals.

Is it smart alecky to suggest you don't do the next couple builds and get a scope that cost closer to a grand? Don't want it to be.

I'm just red neck who doesn't live in the woods...who has too many guns...doing it on a budget.

Maybe too many guns is preventing you from getting a couple of really nice scopes.

I thought I was researching the scopes pretty well...looking for etched glass...reviews on solid clicks...

Seems Asian made scopes are nearly the only ones out there under 1K so that's not a deal breaker any more.

Athlon, Sightron and Primary Arms all have nice scopes under $500.00...They all have scopes that are over 1K as well...do they really poor boy/low ball the build of their lower tier scopes?

I got two Athlon ares for around $700 a piece. They are my first real good scopes. I've been using low end nikons, leupolds, and vortex HSTs. Those scopes have served me well with shots out to 300-500 yards. It was all done with their reticle and no adjusting the knobs, so I wanted to step up to 1,000 yards plus shooting. The ares fits the bill for me.

The glass on the ares is awesome, bright and clear. The clicks are loud, tactile, and it's a solid feel, as in well built. Heavy scope, but solid.

My brother has two Argos which are $360 a piece, and in my opinion much nicer than the millet. The glass isn't as nice as my Nikon monarchs, but it's as good as vortex LR, HS, and HST series. My only complaint is the windage knob is kind of mushy on both that he has. Also, the magnification ring is tough to turn. It feels solid, but you definitely need a throw lever to use it when you're behind the rifle.

Also, another thing that is annoying is the boxes say a USA company, which is true, but they are all made in china except their Cronus model, which I also own, which is made in Japan. That is pretty deceiving to label the box a USA company. Athlon has a no questions asked warranty. It's exactly like vortex. They accidentally sent my brother a MIL/MIL and he returned it for a MOA/MOA. He got it within the week. They even paid for shipping. So far been fairly impressed. If I were you and didn't want to spend a lot of money, I would go with the Athlon Argos BTR. It's also FFP if you didn't want to use the turrets. But the turrets so far have tracked fine for my brother.

I had the Millett LRS-1 and didn't really have much problem with it. It fades at longer focal lengths and shows signs of lesser glass and/or design, but no show stoppers. When I went big on the rifles, I followed suit with the scopes. I have a NF Competition on a 50 BMG, a NF NXS on a 338 LM, and a Leupold MK IV on a Wby 338-378. My favorite is the Leupold, but the NXS is a close second. Now, I'll venture into unknown territory for me, as I've never owned one but get to listen to friends blab about them at no end, I'm thinking the Vortex line is about as best bang-for-buck as you'll get. I could be wrong.

I forgot about the Super Sniper line...I need to look at them again...

Vortex...their lower tier have wire crosshairs, not all but some. I avoid wire because I've for sure had issues with them.

sightron sIII 6-24x50 , sightron s-tac 3-16x42, 4-20x50, swfa ss 3-15x42. I have all of these and they serve me very well and very easy on your wallet.

the swfa ss x10 or "super sniper" are great. tracks better and glass is on par comparable to more expensive scopes. Primary arms has a 4-14x44 in mil that is a ffp thats pretty good. Athlon argos are good too. these are the good "value" scopes...you get more for what you are paying for.

Primary arms has a 4-14x44 in mil that is a ffp thats pretty good. Athlon argos are good too.

These two scopes are in my cart on Amazon...The Athlon Argos is the 6x24x50mm 30mm tube FFP. They have the same scope with higher power but I don't think I will need the 32 max power. I think it's $20.00 more, but I don't want a 56mm bell to deal with...that's my biggest snag on the higher power version.

The Argos has the lead because I like their reticle better. The Primary Arms has a large dot as a aiming point...not real fond of the way it looks, but if I get my hands on one I might change my mind.

Right now I'm waiting on gun parts to come in for my Savage build. So I've got a little time to decide which scope to go with.

After I posted that yesterday I went to their site and found they have several options for reticles. Amazon only shows one with a large dot.

The price was better on their site too...going to dig around there to see if they have something with a bit more power...I would prefer at least 16X.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.