Best App for LRH

wbyfireman

I have an I-Phone 5 and am looking for an app for long range calculations, especially for hunting!! I run ballistic charts specific for each individual hunt (elevation, average temp, humidity, barometric pressure, bullet BC, FPS). However, the most accurate firing solution is obtained from inputing atmospheric conditions for each individual shot. This is the most ethical, and best way to harvest an animal :) when shooting for long distances. What are some of the apps folks use here to accurately and QUICKLY obtain a firing solution in real world hunting conditions.

Thanks!!

I have an I-Phone 5 and am looking for an app for long range calculations, especially for hunting!! I run ballistic charts specific for each individual hunt (elevation, average temp, humidity, barometric pressure, bullet BC, FPS). However, the most accurate firing solution is obtained from inputing atmospheric conditions for each individual shot. This is the most ethical, and best way to harvest an animal :) when shooting for long distances. What are some of the apps folks use here to accurately and QUICKLY obtain a firing solution in real world hunting conditions.

Thanks!!

ALSO--I will be using a Kestral 4500 for acquiring atmospheric conditions, and am shooting a 7mm RM, Berger 168gr handloads-3080fps, and a Nightforce 4.5-22X56 scope

thx again

Shooter isn't available for iTunes so not for iPhone. The most simple and a really good app is bullet flight fte, I use the military edition. The best all inclusive app is the applied ballistic app. I have it for my android tablet and it has more tools than the bullet flight but the two different apps come up with pretty much the same exact corrections. The tools in applied balistics are good though but the program isn't as quick or user friendly. The third option is Ballistic AE. It has good tools but is the least friendly to use and not the best for quick field shooting. My recomendation is get bullet flight and applied ballistics. And use the programs to help each other out. If had to choose 1 bulletflight fte is the most simple and very accurate

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 61
Least favorite but good tool, a applied ballistics has similar tools. Also I don't believe kestrels Bluetooth talks to iOS products. I have only heard this and unsure how true it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 59
We have a ton of things in common. I'm a ff in WA, shooting 7 rm, Bergerac and a nightforce ;) I'm running the 180 hunting vlds at 3060 though, used bulletflight to take a deer at 916 last season.

Oh, I just typed in shooter..... Still why pay thousands in scope rifle and so on just to go cheap on the most important part the ballistic app and save 20$ and miss out on features

In June I attended the 406 Precision LR course in Montana. Both Jason and Jordan showed our class how to use both apps. I had Shooter on my phone as I consider myself a newbie at all this. We spent several hours learning the two apps and I found Shooter to be very easy to work. Now I flew in form this course and didn't have a LR rifle so the 406 guys let me borrow one of their custom Snowy Mtn rifles in .308. With just some quick familiarization with the rifle and scope set up and some great instruction from the guys, I was making hits on steel targets out to 1150yds, keeping in mind this was in a mountain Setting in real world conditions and no shooting benches (we all shot prone). I think for quick and easy data I found Shooter worked for me. My expectations were to be able to make clean shots on game sized targets so i can apply this all to hunting in the future.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts