Best LRH backpack??

Kifarus main hunting pack guy is guiding in the northwest territories right now. I've called their tactical guy Mel and they have his cell phone listed on the site, he has answered after hours even.

Pyroducks,
Can you post pictures of your setup. I was thinking of doing what you have done. Seems like the best of everything. Thank you

So I have a chamber pocket on the top of the nomad. In this pocket I keep headlamp, first aid kit, paracord, compass, fire starter and other small odds n ends. at the bottom of the duplex frame I have a kifaru medium belt pouch, in here I have my kill kit (gamebags, priranta knife, kifaru meat bag), buck knife, kifaru grab-it II and spare lashing kit. I then strap the ebelestock A2LS using malice clips, you can use the metal clips it comes with but the plastic one are much more user friendly. After I have an animal down I take the grab-it out and put all my game bags in the kifaru meat bag to keep them together and make one easy to hold pack of meat. With the cross straps and wing straps I'm able to cinch it down and walk out with an entire boned out deer. In the slot pockets on the wings I keep my 85mm ziess on one side and on the other the slick 624 tripod. In the pockets I keep a couple water bottles, ammo, rainjacket, ballistic computer, etc. The pack gets a little full but it holds what I need. I havent used this set up on a hunt yet but have during a rifle shoot. I used a similiar sytem last year with a cargo panel and a bunch of pockets to pull out two deer and an elk. That system worked well but was messy. This is much better and I have no doubt it will work and hold all my gear much better than last year. Nothing has carried weight as well as my kifaru duplex.

Attachments

• 041.jpg
    041.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 116
  • 042.jpg
    042.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 043.jpg
    043.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 044.jpg
    044.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 045.jpg
    045.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 111
That pack setup is absolutely badazz. I believe I'll be copying it. Has room for everything I would bring plus a rifle scabbard. It addresses all the issues I have with other pack systems. Plus you can add or subtract with that nomad. I should kick myself for not thinking of this..Thank you for posting

Tagging in as I am looking for the same (a great quality versatile hunting pack to have forever). After a lot of searching and reading reviews, I decided to go Kifaru. I have had some issues in getting in contact with them to discuss my questions/needs/etc. If I am going high-end I want to make sure I get the best set-up for my intended use.

I am going to take one more run at them, and I'll let you know if I have a better result. It irks me when I want to buy and can't get someone to sell me on it . . .

I'll update my original post. After my initial issues getting in touch with them, I was able to track down a super-helpful guy here. It appears there was some confusion on their end - they thought I had been followed up with. They owned it and proceeded to give me the kind of technical support and recommendations I would expect from a premium product manufacturer.

Long story short I ordered a Nomad on a Duplex with a number of added pouches, a grab--it, gun bearer, lid, etc. It showed up Friday (about one month). My initial impressions are VERY positive.

It is very well made.

It is versatile/modular. You can set it up a ton of different ways.

It is well suited for packing up my LR gear (big spotter, tripod, heavy rifle, etc).

I haven't taken it up a mountain yet, but I loaded it a few ways and did some trekking around here. Packed up for a heavy day hunt (plus emergency gear) it is comfortable and well balanced. Having a GPS pouch and small belt pouch on the front works great for RF, GPS, Kestrel, etc. My total pack was about 40 lbs including water.

From there, I opened the wings (removed the rifle and water) and added an 80lb bag of quickrete. I secured it with the Grab-it and then compression-strapped it between the wings. Total pack weight now was it the 110lb range. To say packing it around was enjoyable would be a stretch, but I was impressed at how manageable it was. The load-lifters work very well on keeping unbearable weight off your shoulders. If you get a little off-balance, you quickly remember how much weight you are carrying!

Overall, I am very happy with the pack. I can't wait to get some hunting time in this fall and see if my initial impressions hold up.

Brandon

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts