Best all around bullet for .284 caliber

Sully2

Im thinking along the lines of a 140 gr..BT pointed SP. For much bigger than avg game...maybe a 165 or 170 grain slug.

Whats the experienced men say?

Shot alot of game with 7mm's...And my favorite out of all the ones I've tried, is the Berger 168 VLD for deer in 7mm RemMag sized case, or smaller.

For LR deer, a big 7 STW or 7 RUM with 180 Hybrids or 180 VLD's will be a force to be reconed with.

In a 7mm-08 Rem, the 140 VLD's and 140 Nosler Accubonds work good.

But I still think even with a small case like the 7mm-08, you still can't go wrong with a 168 VLD.

in my 7 rm I have excellent performance with 140 and 150 grn. 150 grn etip best. But this is only in my rifle.
The best part of rolling your own ammo is the amount of choices out there for you
Keep good records and try a few combos you will soon learn what is best for your needs:D
I pitty factory loads they just cannot keep up with us

Do you have the powder capacity for a long/heavy bullet? (What caliber?). Does said rifle have a fast enough twist for big pills? I'd shoot the most suited/accurate weight first then choose bullet to needs.

Do you have the powder capacity for a long/heavy bullet? (What caliber?). Does said rifle have a fast enough twist for big pills? I'd shoot the most suited/accurate weight first then choose bullet to needs.

.280 Remington (7mm/30-06) Nothing larger than big mule deer ( dont have the health for an elk or moose hunt)

.280 Remington (7mm/30-06) Nothing larger than big mule deer ( dont have the health for an elk or moose hunt)

If the rate of twist will support it, I'd work with Sierra Gameking 160's (Budget-all purpose), Hornady 162 SST's (also inexpensive) or 168 Berger hunting VLD's if you hunt extended ranges.

140 gr Barnes TSX & TTSX have both performed well for me in my 280. Buddy of mine has had good luck with 140 gr Accubonds (also 280 Rem). I've got a box of 140 SGK's on my shelf that I may give a go this deer season.

Pick a quality 140-150 gr pill and you should be good to go.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.