Primer gamble? Best all around LR and LRM primers?

I have been hand loading for 40 years and I have probably used most makes of primers. Like someone else said I use the primer that best suits the load. But if I had to choose just one standard and one mag primer they would be CCI BR2 and CCI 250s. If it came down to just being able to have only one primer it probably would be CCI 250. In all these years and probably a million or more rounds loaded and shot I have only had two experiences with fail to fire or hang fire. Both were not the primers fault. One was a shotgun shell that had a carboard base in it that I picked up in a dove field after they had been in the rain. One of these shells hang fired with a POOF and the shot cup and shot just barely made it out of the barrel. No doubt wad retained some moisture and degraded powder. Other time it was me not seating the new to me WOLF primers. They were just a hair larger round and you really had to put some pressure on the seating to get them to go flush in the primer pocket. Once I learn this no problems. I sure wish I could get some more of the WOLF primers. Best primers I ever tried in all sizes. I still have a few put back for certain established loads for certain firearms.

Like the cci 250 for the 338 lapua but out of 500 rounds I've had 6 misfire. Love the wlrm in all the 6.5x284 little hotter than the fed match lrm by 20 fps. But the fed had the lowest sd and Es which is a good combo for hot powders.

I use a lot of Federal primers. Often use match grade but wonder if it is worth it or important to use match primers for an average .5 moa rifle. More reasonable to test different brands instead? Federal versus CCI

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.