Primer gamble? Best all around LR and LRM primers?

I started using Winchester magnum primers on everything.I was switching back and forth between magnum and standard depending on what I was loading for,so I decided what the hell,I'll just try the magnums on my standard rounds and they worked quite well.I load for 7mag,7STW,308Win,30-06,300WSM,300 Win Mag and 338-06.Every one of those rifles will shoot under 1/2" with them.Winchester did have some problems with some of their primers a while back.Some of them I bought between 2008 and 2012 would burnout on the side and burn the bolt face.They have since been corrected and fit much tighter in the primer pockets than the problem ones.I have zero issues with the new ones.I recently bought some Federal GM215 Magnum Match Grade primers just to see if I notice any difference but I haven't been to the range yet to try them out.One thing I did notice between the two primers is,the Federals weighed 5.6grs and the Winchester weigh 5.3grs.

Last edited:
I used to be a Fed215Match kind of person because of their recognized heat. But several years ago Fed were not available.

From burn tests it appeared that Winchester LRMagnum were the closest hot burn to the Fed215. I've used WinLRM with good results in 500 AccRel and 416Rigby with their over-120grain capacities as well as 375Ruger and 338 WM. They seem practical substitutes to the Fed215. When I get my next 1000-brick I would be happy with either.

I also like to use magnum primers with 270Win and with low-engraving-pressure bullets (GSC and Hammer) in 308 or 243. With these I am happy with Rem 9.5M because of the smaller case capacities.

I use whatever primer is best for the load combination in each rifle. The best primers are consistently Feds and CCIs. I always test Win primers, but they never produce the desired result and end up collecting dust on my loading bench. The only time I've had problems with CCIs failing to fire or hanging it was not primer related, rather, it was a firearm with too little firing pin protrusion, or it was excessively deep primer pockets like you find in Bertram brass. Often times you can remedy the issues with a softer cupped primer, but the underlying cause of the problem is still there.

My groups are always better with CCI primers, not sure why, tried federal, Remington, Winchester, and always CCI that give best groups. I did recently shoot a Browning hells canyon LR with all 3 primers and groups were the same between them. IDK. Seems odd that primers would have such an effect on accuracy since they just ignite the powder charge.

Federal 210/210M & 215/215M generally speaking these work for just about anything and do an exceptional job, except, in my 5.56x45 & 7.62x51 NATO... loads for those hands down I use the CCI #41 & #34 Military primer. Now with all that said, in severe cold weather I use the boxer Russian Murom KVB-7/KVB-7M & KVB-223/KVB-223M these are quality primes and I've even used them in a few of my 1k match loads over the years with great results very low SD's as primers go.

Winchester large rifle mag primers are to big for my Ruger 30.06 cases. I have to use max force to put them in. I have bent a few and will not purchase Winchester primers. I'll stick to CCI.

Winchester large rifle mag primers are to big for my Ruger 30.06 cases. I have to use max force to put them in. I have bent a few and will not purchase Winchester primers. I'll stick to CCI.
Question: What brand case are you using?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.