Best 7mm out there now

My take on this is of all the 7mm out there, what is the overall best. Not too much recoil, reaches out there far enough, components are available etc etc. yes there are the 7mm AM that will do everything from near to a mile away so I guess that would be king of the big 7mm hammers but then someone with a 7-08 may be able to do anything they need it to and may not shoot over 200yds. I just look at the 7RM as the middle of the pack but still able to 95% of what anyone would need it to do. If the components were more readily available I'd honestly say (and if I were to only have one rifle) would be the 7mm Dakota. It can do anything. Which I'm surprised I haven't seen anything from those Dakota lovers out there.

But yes... there is the extra muzzle blast / recoil if your sensitive of course.
Custom 7 Rem Mags shoot tiny, tiny groups, .110 Freebore for up to the 168, .210 for the 175-180, Rem and Winchester brass.

The crap shoot of the world economy has me on edge about using Boutique cases.

Custom 7 Rem Mags shoot tiny, tiny groups, .110 Freebore for up to the 168, .210 for the 175-180, Rem and Winchester brass.

The crap shoot of the world economy has me on edge about using Boutique cases.
Yes. The tide has turned to longer throat, faster twist shooting heavier/longer pills. If your a custom type of guy or have a new pipe put on it then all that can be done to the tried and true cartridges. But going custom you can keep using the 7RM with a few changes and keep the game interesting

the Devil is in the details, poor blanket statement, LR. Not saying there are any flies on a 28 Nosler. Custom reamers for the 7 RM, 7 STWs, and 28 Nosler are in my toolbox. Reloading manuals are quite anemic on the 7 STW loading data, I got quite a bit more out of the three that I have had, two 7 Rem mag SS fluted set back and chambered with the 7 STW reamer, (2)25 1/2" and one Pac Nor 3 Groove 27". Pac Nor shoots the 140 C/T at 3650 into bug holes with high high-powered scope, Rem setbacks are shooting the 140 C/T at 3550, and Winchester brass is the key. 120 TTSX with IMR 7828 and R#22 are shooting groups the size of pencil erasers at 3800.

With no brass available for the 7 STW, looks like the 28 Nosler with AGD brass wins the show. No flies on a 7 Practical and 7 Mashburn either, other than a lot of work, a tad slower than the 28 Nosler, but brass will be available for the 7 Practical and 7 Mashburn for your lifetime. The 7 Practical and 7 Mashburn accuracy nodes with the 162-168 are at 3200-3250 with 3350 being the top end, and you can do a LOT with the 162-168 at 3200-3250.

I have read that there are some mismatches in dies/reamers for the 28 Nosler, would be good to hear more on this.

I have owned a number of 7RMs, an STW, and 2 Nosler 28s. Hands down, the 28N beats the RM and STW. More accurate and faster.
I'll take my stw over a nosler any day and all day. And that's 3 shots.

552.jpg

Last edited: