Best 600y elk cartridge to built on top of 270 Win Tikka action

this is good info! would berger 180 hybrids be too long for tikka mag?
No, 180 Hybrids seated to the lands of my 284 Win from X-Caliber measures 3.250" OAL, easily fits in my Tikka mags.

But my elk hunting load is 168 ABLR at 3.200", with 53.4 gr H4350 I'm at 2850 fps. Run the numbers, I am confident with it to 600. Do the 284 if that's what interests you, I love it: https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/x-caliber-284-cf-barrel-review.312700/#post-2632164

Seems like a lot of guys like the 300prc. But options are almost endless😂
Back to standard bolt face for a second do you want to fireform? If you stay with standard bolt face?
Tikka is too short for 300 PRC. Or really any mag that isn't short.
If your happy to swap bolts and mags, I'd take a hard look at 7wsm or 7saum. But whatever you go with , get brass first, plenty of it to kill the barrel.
280 imp wouldn't suck either.
Tikka is perfect for short mags.

On that action, in 7mm, if you want to shoot heavier/higher bc bullets, I would do the .284 win. If your ok using lighter or lower bc bullets, or seating deeper for a short enough OAL, then a .280 ai would get my vote. Or as stated, if you want more, get a mag bolt and run a 7 saum/7 Sherman max/7 wsm. No bad choices, just different ones.

How about a 338 RPM it will use that action and you could go to magnum magazine and bolt stop. Also a 35 whelen would be cool but not a real long range round due to low ballistic co-efficient.

I built a 270 wsm on a long action. 170 bergers at 3k plus is bad medicine for well past 600 yards.
Keeping with the 308 bolt face, you might consider going with a Sherman improved round in 277, 284, 6.5… they are optimized for the length on action.
I have a couple tikkas and they are really nice actions!

I built a 270 wsm on a long action. 170 bergers at 3k plus is bad medicine for well past 600 yards.
Keeping with the 308 bolt face, you might consider going with a Sherman improved round in 277, 284, 6.5… they are optimized for the length on action.
I have a couple tikkas and they are really nice actions!
The standard Sherman's are not optimized for a tikka length action at all. The .270 Sherman's I load for are running 3.650" or so with 170 Bergers with some jump, and about the same with the 140 Badlands bullets. They have the neck shoulder junction moved forward from a standard .270 win, and are throated to keep the longer bullets out of the powder column, so are even longer than a .270 win or .280 ai.

You may be thinking of the Sherman Shortmag's or Sherman Max's. They are built of SAUM's. For a 7mm in a tikka action with mag bolt face, one might as well do the standard 7 saum or the 7 Sherman max, which is a simple crush fit fireformed 7 saum improved.

The Tikka action will go 3.6- 3.7" with the correct BDM. You change the bolt stop to its LA one as well. Run an acis compatible mag. I can lay out parts list for you to procure from basic to extreme. Then take it to your smith or if its basic and a prefit you could do it yourself if your handy. You can stay very basic with the factory stock, ctr bdm, acis compatible mag, prefit barrel chambered in whatever you want, trigger spring, and scope rail. You could otherwise choose a custom stock (manners, mcmillian, mesa altitude), barrel blank, redsnake trg dbm, trg-42 winmag magazine, krg midas fully adj 2 stage trigger, ti rail. One of the site sponsors @North Idaho Hunter (J/A Outdoors) usually has most tikka t3x upgrade parts in stock.

As you are handloader I would not look at any of the actual long action cartridges like Nosler Mag, PRC, WinMag etc. Look at the RSAUM and WSM based cases. Gives the most flexibility on a magnum bolt face.

If you do not mind wildcat with ready to load or neck size only adg cases look at the Sherman Max and Mega lines. 6.5 Max running a 156 EOL will be a lower recoil Lazer. A 7mm Mega can throw a 195 EOL 26" barrel in a node 2900 fps h1000. The 30 and 338 Megas work fantastically in short barrels.

I have a 338 Mega 21.5" 6.5lb bare 9.5lb RTH that runs a 250 eol @ 2900-2950 node. Also 250 CEB Lazer Max and SBDII about 75-120 fps less depending on powder. BTW that CEB is suppose to be single feed only length but even with it being 1.867" long loaded ideally in the case neck its still under 3.6" fits easily in the tikka.

If you would rather stick to std cases just run the wsm rsaum equivelents in their stock chamber throated to run longer COAL. 7RSAUM or 6.5 24" barrel plenty for your yardage goals and the some. Of a 30 or 338 wsm/Mega from 20-22" barrels easily crush anything in that range and you can hang a suppressor off it and not have a crazy long pole on your hands. Load light or heavy for max flexibility.

If you want to stay with your current bolt face and 280-284. @Alex Wheeler has a very good 284 reamer design for a mildly modded 284 that is quite popular with f class open shooters 284 Wheeler

Last edited:
I've considered 280 AI but it seems like I might run into COAL issues. 284 WIN doesn't seem like it has enough bang.

Are there any other options with standard bolt face?
I'll refer to Jud96. He has 284 win on a long action. On a Remington or Savage LA I'd do a 280 AI. On a Tikka or a 98 Mauser like I have a 284 Win might be a better choice for performance with magazine length being the limiting factor. That being said I'm still considering a 280 AI or even straight 280 Rem on my Mauser with 3.400 " mag. 280 AI or 280 Rem brass is easier to get or make these days.