Help 7stw built on a tikka action

darrindlh

Okay guys which tikka do I donate to build my 7stw on? However I am thinking it would be easier to build it on a rem 700 action from a 300rum. Thanks

Darrin

It would be alot easier to build it on a magnum, or ultra-mag 700 action.

While you're in there, get a Wyatt's 4.000" extended mag box and follower. And have your smith mill the bottom of the receiver and stock, to accept it. You'll be glad you did, when trying to shoot the STW as a repeater with those long heavy bullets seated way out near the lands. You can't do this in any standard action, no matter what brand. But because the 700 has such a diverse aftermarket following, Wyatt's Outdoors offers these awesome products for those of us who shoot really long magnum calibers.

Madrunner ,
Thank you for the reply. I am with you. I'm thinking rem ultra action and a Wyatt's extended mag. What about using 338lapua ai mags?

Darrin

Madrunner ,
Thank you for the reply. I am with you. I'm thinking rem ultra action and a Wyatt's extended mag. What about using 338lapua ai mags?

Darrin
.338 Lapua cases are too fat, and use a larger bolt face than a magnum caliber or ultra-mag.

Mag & ultra-mag calibers use .540" bolt face, Lapua uses .585" bolt face.

Also, I'm not a fan of detachable mags for hunting rifles, but everyone has their preference...

Unless you have a rem action already would it make sense to just pick up a custom action that is already sized for a wyatt box as opposed to getting a donor action, getting it milled (does the bolt stop need adjustment too)? Aren't the stiller actions for instance already setup for the wyatt boxes?

Unless you have a rem action already would it make sense to just pick up a custom action that is already sized for a wyatt box as opposed to getting a donor action, getting it milled (does the bolt stop need adjustment too)? Aren't the stiller actions for instance already setup for the wyatt boxes?
Not everything that glitters is gold... Sometimes even custom actions will require gunsmithing work, truing, modifying, etc...

Yes very true. Plus I'm kinda on a budget . And already have a 300 rum. I was planning on getting a precut rem barrel sendero contour and having it a single shot until I can have a smith mill out a wyatts extended mag. I don't know though.

Darrin

Yes very true. Plus I'm kinda on a budget . And already have a 300 rum. I was planning on getting a precut rem barrel sendero contour and having it a single shot until I can have a smith mill out a wyatts extended mag. I don't know though.

Darrin
If you're gonnna build a custom, then get the action trued. If you're gonna get the action trued, you might as well have them install the Wyatt's box at the same time, and only have the rifle apart one time. Becasue to install the Wyatt's box, he'll have to break the entire rifle down again. Just my thoughts...

Not everything that glitters is gold... Sometimes even custom actions will require gunsmithing work, truing, modifying, etc...

Agreed just saying the baseline action (if you don't own one already) is a cost. And then the machining work to modify for the wyatt mag box/bolt stop (aside from any truing work) would also be a cost. The combo of those two may get you withing a couple hundred of something like a stiller or other similar action that comes setup that way already so its something to keep in mind as a consideration. Also side bolt stops are standard (if you like that), etc.

Okay so I looked on gunbroker and I can buy a Remington sps 7mm stw for $535.00. It would be already chambered and I could just rebarrel it .

Darrin

It would be already chambered and I could just rebarrel it .

This is an odd statement to me. If you're rebarreling the factory chamber means nothing. It would have the correct bolt face though if that is what you were implying but so would others.

Okay so I looked on gunbroker and I can buy a Remington sps 7mm stw for $535.00. It would be already chambered and I could just rebarrel it .

Darrin
You might not even need to rebarrel it. I'd spend $100 or so, and have your gunsmith hand-lap the bore, bed the action, and free-float the barrel before shooting it, and you might have a shooter right out of the box with a little load development.

Also, make sure you get the 26" barreled model.

It should not be odd. But in understand why. I mean it's chambered so I do not need a Wyatt's extended mag meaning it's already a repeater. The others are not i would need a Wyatt's extended mag in the other actions.

Darrin

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.