Best Short Action 308 Boltface Cartridge

LWolken

What do you guys reccomend as the best to chamber in a remington 700 short action with a 308 bolt face. I'm looking at better options to the 308 win. I would like this to be 6.5mm to 7mm class cartridge which would serve as a long range hunting platform for deer and hogs. Maybe like a 260 improved or a 7mm-08. Thoughts

Lance

While some of the cartridges already mentioned will fill your needs, dont over look the 308 either. It does better in the real world than it does on paper. You will also have a really long barrel life, one that allows you to really get to know it inside and out and still have shots left for hunting. That will make you very lethal!

Everyone must know my choice by now. Builds confidence, and with proper bullet placement it will do what you ask of it.

Hi a 260AI would be my choice if the boltface was left alone but if you wanted to the boltface could be opened and a Sako extractor fitted and the 7mm Rem Short action ultra mag is what i have. Either way fit an extended mag box to load the VLD projectiles out so you dont use up the powder space with projectile.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Bill,

What velocities have you been able to get out of your 7mm SAUM? I considered a 7mm and 300 SAUM but have not been convinced as of yet.

Lance

I'll seconded Michael suggestion of 308 Winchester. Can't go wrong with it. I just discovered this round lately and I having a ball with it. I just bought an Obermeyer 308 barrel from another member and it is going to be chambered for another, you guess it 308.

Thanks Coyboy. Like I said, I must have been in that cave.

I have always wanted to tinker with a 260 or 260 improved. Seems like the barrels last a whole lot longer than the famed 6.5x284 with not that much less performance. Also seems like it fills the gap between the 243 and the 308 very nicely. So many fun and interesting cartridges (408 CT, 280AI, 260AI, 7AM, etc...) and yet so little cash and even less time!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts