Best 6.5 Creed Brass and RL26 Powder

Brianc74

My Lapua Brass won't allow for over 47 grains of RL26. What make of brass will hold more powder?

I want to shoot Berger 135 Classic Bullets

Brian

My Lapua Brass won't allow for over 47 grains of RL26. What make of brass will hold more powder?

I want to shoot Berger 135 Classic Bullets

Brian
Most I can fit in Peterson (large primer version) for my 6.5 creed shooting 130 Berger hybrids is 46.5 grains rl26 through a drop tube and compressed pretty good with an OAL of 2.795" to fit mag length this is at the high end of pressure in my gun...
in my 6mm creed shooting 115gr dtacs in Hornady brass I can get 47grs in on a compressed load... if I try and use Peterson brass it's really compressed at 47grs and I start stretching primer pockets and have to back it down to 46.5gr to quit wrecking brass...

So moral of story... with a drop tube, probably Hornady brass will get you over 47gr, definetly not Peterson brass, and I'm thinking much above 47gr you will start hitting high pressure...

Hope that helps
Orch

I've fitted 47.5 gr of rl-26 using Hornady cases and 147 Eldm's to a btol of: 2.222". It was a little compressed, but no need of special tools to get it in, just a regular powder funnel

I've fitted 47.5 gr of rl-26 using Hornady cases and 147 Eldm's to a btol of: 2.222". It was a little compressed, but no need of special tools to get it in, just a regular powder funnel
147's with 47.8 grains of R-26 and Starline LR brass with drop tube works for me as a max. 47.3 is just as accurate and easier to load. Fourth firing and all is well.

I tried Peterson brass but have problems with loose primer pockets earlier than with any other 6.5 brass I've tried.
If you want max case capacity, Hornady brass is the ticket. IMO the best trade-off of case capacity, price and quality, is Prime brass. Had very good luck with their stuff and you should have no problem getting 47 grains in there with the 135 Berger.

I can fit 47.5 in once fired Hornady pretty easy. With new brass it requires pretty heavy compression. COL at 2.85"

I just picked up some Lapua brass, and Widden dies with a seater stem just for the 135 classics. Also a drop tube. They will be her tomorrow. Looking forward to start testing out this rifle with this combo. As of now. Only been shooting factory ammo. With 7 types of factory ammo, nothing shot over 1" at too yards with 5 shot groups. The Federal classic135 Berger's for Four 5 shot groups averaged 0.35.

Brian

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.