Best 6.5 creed brass?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103481
  • Start date
I have been using Lapua, ADG, and some old Win .260 brass for my .260 AI. All have worked well. Lapua and ADG are primo. I have not used Alpha or Peterson, so cannot comment on those.

Peterson is every bit as good as ADG. It is also more redably available.

Berger was bought by Lapua so Berger 6.5 Creedmoor ammo is loaded in Lapua SRP brass.

It's a great way to make once fired brass and you pretty much can't load similar ammo in new brass any cheaper than buying it.

Instead of paying $100 for 100 pieces of brass, you can spend about $160 for 100 loaded rounds and then figure out what to do with the brass after you have fired it.

I use Lapua Small Primer for mine and have been very happy with it. As buck Fever said you can buy the Berger ammunition at Midway for less than the cost of brass and bullets and end up with once fired Lapua small rifle primer brass once fired for almost 1/2 off if you discount the powder/primer /bullet cost. I did this for 4 boxes of ammo as I had to wait for my reloading dies and couldn't wait to start breaking in my new barrel. The factory 140's shot 0.35-0.4 inch groups so they would be a decent fall back position in a jam. The cases from the factory loaded ammo were all within 1.0-1.5 grains from the Lapua bulk brass when they were weighed.

Currently loaded berger is 1.70 a round most places and lapua brass ive found at 0.85 a piece. I thought of that avenue but with factory ammo being hit so hard right now I'm not sure it's as advantageous.

plus a genuinely enjoy reloading.

Wow ammo price has really gone up. Ammo was $1.30/ round and brass was $1.02/ round when I was buying. I had not bought any loaded ammo for 20+ years.
The only thing better than reloading is shooting bug holes with your own ammo or elk, deer, hogs, coyotes......:):)

Berger Ammo is $1.35-1.40/round at places like target sports.
If you figure $0.85-$0.90 for brass, $0.40/bullet, it's pretty much break even to just buy the loaded ammo.

The Berger 6.5 creed 156 EOL ammo is in Lapua LR primer brass not small. Just FYI

"The Berger 6.5 creed 156 EOL ammo is in Lapua LR primer brass not small. Just FYI"

Did not know that on primer sizes. The Berger Match ammo with 120 Scenar-L and 140 Berger hybrid target both come with small primer brass. I think all of the Hornady branded ammo has large rifle primers but have never bought any so I may be wrong.

So getting back into reloading the one true cartridge, seems currently the top manufacturers are:

ADG
Alpha
Lapua
Peterson

Any opinions? I like that everyone except lapua provides a range box that can be used for loaded cartridges

I've used Lapua and Alpha. Both are outstanding. Alpha is every bit as good as Lapua, and American made if that matters to you.

John

Berger Ammo is $1.35-1.40/round at places like target sports.
If you figure $0.85-$0.90 for brass, $0.40/bullet, it's pretty much break even to just buy the loaded ammo.

The Berger 6.5 creed 156 EOL ammo is in Lapua LR primer brass not small. Just FYI

yeah if they bulk places come in stock before I order I may do that. 26.70 a box vs 35$ a box is a big difference

yeah if they bulk places come in stock before I order I may do that. 26.70 a box vs 35$ a box is a big difference

If you buy a Prime membership at Targetsports they discount that further, buy a case and get free shipping. I think some recent Berger Ammo was $24.56/box With discount. Two cases with tax and free shipping was like $530.

I might call them and see if they expect stock in the next month or two.

I called, understandably so they have no idea when anything is coming anymore lol

So getting back into reloading the one true cartridge, seems currently the top manufacturers are:

ADG
Alpha
Lapua
Peterson

Any opinions? I like that everyone except lapua provides a range box that can be used for loaded cartridges
Wait...I thought adg is alpha brass?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.