Reloading 6.5 Creed Brass???

How does the firing pin affect accuracy or case life?
Small primers mean a smaller hole in the case head. Primary advantage of a sp case is being able to run higher pressure as well as better es and sd. If you run a standard firing pin .074 vs a .062 pin your exposing more of the softest part of the case head. This can show pressure sooner and also cause the primer pocket to be subjected more growth due to flow of the primer because it isn't supported as well. Accuracy can be as good with either size. The only thing that would be an advantage would be a lighter pin would create a faster lock time. There are lots of articles written by people far more qualified than I am on this subject. I'm just parroting what i have read and witnessed. When I shot a 222 it had a standard pin. When we put a speedlock set up in it .062 it shot better. That was a small pin we had to bush. We did the same for a 6mm ppc that already had a small pin. The biggest thing was bushing the pin so it was supported.

Are you sure you don't have your references to your pictures reversed? Top group looks smaller than bottom group. Both of course are outstanding. I don't know how the heck you get SDs of 4. I am meticulous in my reloading procedures and rarely get into single digits according to my Pro Chrony. I use the same basically components including the .289 bushing.
I get large ES with my Caldwell chrono too, but my avg. is usually good.

Im shooting a Ruger Precision. I would assume it has a normal firing pin. Do you guys think its required that I weight sort the hornady brass? Also does anyone know of any factory ammo that uses lapua brass?
I have no issues at all using small primers(Lapua Brass) in the Ruger PR. I get very low ES using the Hornady brass in spite of the fairly broad weight distribution. The brass life using the Lapua Brass is the primary appeal for me.

When I used lapua brass in my 6.5 creedmoor it made for the easiest load development I have ever had. It is super consistent. I had 500 pieces of hornady brass and sold them to buy my lapua brass. My suggestion is you do the same!!! You won't be disappointed!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts