6.5 creedmoor brass

Lrreloader

Hello,
New to this caliber, wanted to know whats better small primer pocket or large?
Thanks for the help

I use the Lapua SRP brass in my Browning 6.5 Creed and find it to be very consistent. "I believe" that using a small primer in larger cases started with the BR crowd. 308 win brass with small primer pockets was reported to provide better or more uniform combustion. Lapua may have decided to go with a small pocket to promote better uniformity in an accurate cartridge (6.5 Creed) or for the increased case head strength that it provides. With a smaller pocket there is just more brass in the head to resist primer pocket expansion when pressures are high. Many competitive 6.5 Creed shooters use heavy loads under heavy, high BC, bullets. A stronger case head would provide longer case life with loads that are on the higher edge of the pressure limits

I use starline SRP and have had zero issues. Pricing is pretty good as well and it has done well in multiple rifles.

I would recommend Alpha Munitions brass. I also think that small primer brass makes for a stronger case which equates to longer brass life. If you order it in 100 count quantity there is no difference in price but it comes in bullet boxes. To me, they look like they are made by MGM.

I have used several brands, both LRP and SRP, with good success. I recently retired a batch of 50 Norma brass that all had 15 firings on them with a fairly stout charge. They could have gone a few more loadings, but I could see the shiny ring starting to show above the web. Even the "cheap" brands will shoot well in Creedmoor if you sort them by weight, although primer pocket life will be shorter. My vote for "best bang for the buck" brass in Creedmoor would be Starline.

I'm running the Peterson brass, large primer and just got in a new load of Nosler 140 RDF's to play with. I just like the large primer because it is just that.... Large and I don't have to worry about boom so much.

I just purchased some Laupua LRP 6.5 Creedmoor brass, I have a lot of LR primers, so might as well use them instead of purchasing more primers..

We use Peterson large rifle primer brass in my brother's 6.5 Creedmoor. I went with large primer brass because I have heard about issues with cratering with factory actions and ignition problems in cold weather. There's no disadvantage to the large primer brass. Primer pockets will last a little longer on small rifle primer brass, but if you run a normal load in Peterson brass it will last 10+ firings.

I use Lapua LRP primarily now, have used Hornady, Barnes (whoever makes that) and winchester brass as well (all sourced from factory ammo) I have a batch of Starline SRP that is fine, but I wont load it for hunting. My late season elk hunts can get bitter cold, and I have no desire to find the lower limit of reliable ignition.

on my son's Bergara I used Lapua SRP and pierced primers with loads that shouldn't have. I got the firing pin bushed by Gretan and its is fine now with those same loads. Shoots 1/2 moa or better. I recently got a GAP-10 and used recycled Hornady LRP brass, with it's best load it shoots 1/2 moa or better. I did no sorting, just chamfer the case mouths. After that experience, I'm not sure I'd spend the money for Lapua when I can get once fired Hornady for 1/3d the price.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.