6.5 creedmoor brass

rcoody

Just ordered a barrel in 6.5 creedmoor for my savage target action.

I know many are using the 308 lapua brass to make the creedmoor brass.

Lapua makes 7mm 08 brass now. Has anyone tried necking this down? Would the necks still need turning.

I think I am going to give it a try.

Definitely try the 7mm08 Lapua.
You might not have to neck turn for safety or chamber clearance reasons but if you are using standard sizing dies the neck tention from the thicker necks may cause too much neck tention / more bullet run out.
I would suggest bushing dies.

I'd definitely try though.

Definitely try the 7mm08 Lapua.
You might not have to neck turn for safety or chamber clearance reasons but if you are using standard sizing dies the neck tention from the thicker necks may cause too much neck tention / more bullet run out.
I would suggest bushing dies.

I'd definitely try though.

best I can tell I will be looking for a neck wall thickness of about 15 thousands

I will measure after resizing. Hope it will be close. I hate neck turning.

Only part I worry about is that little bit of shoulder that becomes neck. It has to be thicker. With bushing dies you develop a donut there anyway. Hope it doesn't become a problem.

full length dies will be redding type S full length sizing

but I have recently started using the Wilson dies again. Been 30 years since I used them. I will try neck sizing with them.

I will use the berger 140 vld jammed about a hundredth into the lands

or the 140 hybrid. You can play with seating with that one

or the Lapua Scenar L. I have found this to be a very accurate bullet

looks like H4350 is the powder.

Yeah neck turning sux but you could set the cutter to skim the surface maybe . 0005" and go into the shoulder .003" to .004" .

That way the clean up would be fairly quick and painless. You would prevent the donut issue if this is done prior to fire forming.

Buy 100 rounds of PRIME ammo and then use the brass after. Their brass is made by Norma and it's super tough. I got 16 firings without annealing on 3 test cases and then I ran out of bullets that day and had to stop my test.

I've resized a bunch of LC 7.62 brass, and some random 243 cases. I used the Lee Creedmoor timer, then a FL size, re-check the length. Interestingly enough the LC cases were easy and right with the above method. It was the 243 cases that needed the inside neck ream job.

Buy 100 rounds of PRIME ammo and then use the brass after. Their brass is made by Norma and it's super tough. I got 16 firings without annealing on 3 test cases and then I ran out of bullets that day and had to stop my test.

Knowing this now makes me want to get a 6.5 creed that much more!

Midway USA has 6.5 CM Norma brass. Why not buy some from there.

100 loaded roads of PRIME ammo will cost you around $135 shipped. Unless prices have changed since I last looked, that's quite a bit cheaper than component Norma brass and you get 100 rounds of great shooting ammo to start with and Norma brass to load afterwards.

Midway USA has 6.5 CM Norma brass. Why not buy some from there.

Norma would definitely be my second choice but I really like lapua brass. If the 7mm08 brass resizes well I will stick with that. Otherwise I will go Norma. Thanks for that information.

I have a couple of months to work on brass. Sending the barreled action to Bill Shehane for inletting, pillar and glass bedding.

I hope the stock turns out as good as this one. Their ST-1000L in African Obeche with the indian paint scheme.

Indian_Paint_Obeche_pattern_drop_in_for_BAT[1]..jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.