choice brass 6.5 creedmoor.

Lapua est numer uno. Once you have tried Lapua and/or Norma brass you will pass by the other brass offerings. you will not have to go thru the machinations of weighing, testing neck thickness & so forth. As you have already said they are expensive - get a bank loan if you have to, this is one of the few times when that trite saying "you get what you paid for" is true.

Hello I'm French. I have to buy cases in 6.5 creedmoor I have the choice for hornady or starline which take you ?
(Sorry for my english).
Hornaday design the cartridge so that is one advantage but they are notorious for being soft while star line is not the top of the list it is your only other choice order a few of both try them and see which one you prefer if you're only going to order one I would try Starline just for the longevity,To get good results you must test test test

Hornaday design the cartridge so that is one advantage but they are notorious for being soft while star line is not the top of the list it is your only other choice order a few of both try them and see which one you prefer if you're only going to order one I would try Starline just for the longevity,To get good results you must test test test
Agree with Peterson and it's the same price as Starline and Hornady.

Lapua is the best, no prep is needed with the exception of neck sizing to correct for manufacturing dents. Bonne chance.

What are you using your 6.5 Creed for? If you are using it for a hunting gun, all around recreational fun gun Starline is great and Hornady is fine. If you are going to compete and will be wearing out a barrel a year then yes, Lapua will save you money in the long run. I am loading Starline and Hornady in like, but seperate rifles right now as a bit of a test. Both have proven to be able to maintain minute of prairie dog to 400 through several loadings. We are early in the test, but unless winning money is on the line, Starline would be my recommendation.

Starline is great brass for most purposes. I use it in both my 6.5CMs and it shoots fantastic.

I also tried Alpha Precision which many say is on par with Lapua and I had to back off a half grain or so and therefore lost velocity so I'm staying with Starline. Same accuracy!

I have 10 loads of full power hunting loads on mine and going strong, primer pockets still tight.
Heres some good info that helped me decide to give it a go.
For what it's worth Hornady brass is gunna shoot fantastic groups as well.

Something I should have said earlier, when I throughout my brass preference. If you work hard enough you can make most any brass work.

You are the opinion, you're just starting out and you're going to mess up. You're right, that's why I feel you should use a top quality brass. It's so must easier and cheaper when you're chasing long distance accuracy, to know your poor SD is not your brass. You'll have enough on your plate without spending a lot of money on equipment to fix cheap brass problems.

Just something I wish someone would have told me, when I was starting out.

Lapua Brass is the best brass on the market for the money and longevity. You can get good results with Hornady brass, with Annealing after every shot, but the fall back on it is, after 6 or 7 firings the primer starts to back out. By using RL-26 powder you can achieve great accuracy with the Hornady brass in the 6.5 CM "3035fps Sierra 142gn HPBT". The Hornady Brass has more case volume so it can hold more powder but high pressure signs showed at 48.1gn at 3049fps.
This Hornady case was retired after the 5th shot due to the primer backing out.
My Lapua brass has less case volume, with out going into the numbers, I'm just going to say that I am able to achieve
the same Velocities as the Hornady brass and accuracy. I also anneal after every firing and I'm OCD about my case prep. Some of my Lapua cases have over 30 firings on them and and produce great results in the Ammo testing I do for my
6.5CM.
Now for a man that likes to read the forums and keep his mouth shut, I will say this. If you can get Lapua brass, Buy it,,
You want be sorry,, Money save in the future. If that's not an option, The Hornady Brass will cost you a lot more in the future. I use a lot of Lake City Brass in my .223 AR and it works great, but in the 6.5CM it did not produce the results I was trying to achieve. I will end on this note, If my choices were Hornady or Lake City Brass, I would buy the Lake city Brass. With proper ammo testing you could develop a load for that rifle that is acceptable for your needs. I say this because you will be replacing the Hornady Brass after every 5th or 6th shot. The primmer pocket will loosen up and the primer will back out. So, between Hornady and Lake City,, I would go with lake City for longevity and durability.

I must be getting OLD, I just went back and read the original POST. It was about Hornady and STAR LINE BRASS.
MY BIG BAD ERROR.,,,,,
FLIP A QUARTER, their both tit for tat.
Hornady- Better accuracy less longevity
Star Line- Less accuracy,, better longevity.
I'm sorry for my rambling.. My ideas and thoughts are based on my finding as a student of reloading and is based off of the firings out of My 6.5CM. only.
" Be sure to Anneal."

Last edited:
I would vote for Starline.If you decide to use the small primer pocket and hunt in colder weather you should use a magnum primer as you can get hang fires with the standard small primers.That is why I use the large rifle pockets with LR primers for hunting.

It is a rifle (tikka t3) that I use for hunting and training on paper.
I take note; to use a CCI450 primer for small rilfe brass.(here in france it is rarely less than 10°F)
I don't feel capable of annealing the neck, I start the reloading.
That is why I want brass not too expensive, I do not hope, to use them more than 5-6 times.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.