Best 6.5 CM Hunting Bullet for Moderate Long Range Distances

140 grain accubond for all 6.5's
Eldx bullets are good for 300 yards and beyond. Wife and me both took bucks with the 6.5 PRC 1 at 326yds and another at 418 yds perfect mushrooms and DRT.
Now 300 win mag 200 grain eldx over 76 grains of H1000 so not a real hot load. 7x7 at 247 yds and it literally blew up on impact just behind the shoulder hitting a rib and found just the jacket inside. He ran about 100 yds jumped a 4 wire barbed fence into a shelter belt. So no idea if he then headed east or west a lot of stress. Finally went in where he did and that was his last step DRT. Was not what I was expecting from a 200 grain eldx

Attachments

• 7x7 down.JPG
    7x7 down.JPG
    432.6 KB · Views: 39
  • entrance.JPG
    entrance.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 34
Eldx bullets are good for 300 yards and beyond. Wife and me both took bucks with the 6.5 PRC 1 at 326yds and another at 418 yds perfect mushrooms and DRT.
Now 300 win mag 200 grain eldx over 76 grains of H1000 so not a real hot load. 7x7 at 247 yds and it literally blew up on impact just behind the shoulder hitting a rib and found just the jacket inside. He ran about 100 yds jumped a 4 wire barbed fence into a shelter belt. So no idea if he then headed east or west a lot of stress. Finally went in where he did and that was his last step DRT. Was not what I was expecting from a 200 grain eldx
That's similar to what I've seen with the Eld's at sub 400yds impacts. It's just not constructed to hold together well with high velocity impacts.

Had very good results from 600-1000yds though with it in the STW and Rum.

Any one talking about energy dump then shoots a elk at 1200 plus yds with a 6.5 x47 , dosnt sound credible too me there wouldn't be enough energy dump left over too kill a jack rabbit . There is no way I would attempt a 1200 yd shot on a Elk with a 6.5 x 47 no matter the circumstances.
Even being generous you're talking less than 500ft-lbs energy on impact , and 540" or 42MOA drop at that range.

My facts are straight and no, they don't. That's why we've had numerous people posting photos showing them blowing up shallow without penetrating or with only minimal penetration over the years.

Even being generous you're talking less than 500ft-lbs energy on impact , and 540" or 42MOA drop at that range.
Wrong.... more like 35MOA and 801 ft lbs of energy just a hair over 1600 fps. Enough I'm done. You keep your mono's and I'll keep shooting better with Berger.... My 6 is covered!

Wrong.... more like 35MOA and 801 ft lbs of energy just a hair over 1600 fps. Enough I'm done. You keep your mono's and I'll keep shooting better with Berger.... My 6 is covered!
1645665953533.png

I was even more generous in the theoretical load I worked up using the 147gr ElD-X and a Muzzle Velocity of 2,800 fps which is far above what the 6.5x47 is capable of with such a bullet.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Berger's don't work or even they are crap. But to say they are better is not the case.
I have hunted many many places in Texas and around the US and unfortunately I have to use guides. The one bullet that I have heard many many of them curse is Berger. In fact one Texas ranch said that if you must use it for some larger game he would take a deposit for the animal before you tried. Those people see more hunting in a year then most of us in ten. If many different times nes complained about Berger must be something to it.
More than likely the same issues I saw with mine in my creed on thick skinned game. Only difference is I made a perfect shot and was able to get a second into my oryx and it went down. Two rounds with poor performance. I still think for deer eld and Berger are tough to beat for how fast they kill but I will keep doing my thing with confidence.
I've yet to hear anyone explain. That if both bullets hit the recommended min FPS around the same how does the lead bullet beat it?
If you say they open lower speed well than I could say well so will my hammer. May the work yep will they always work nope.

Be even posted the applied charts. Seem people move on from that. Then go into well bc is higher on a Berger I can shoot things farther. Well not if the bullet won't open.
Now this doesn't hold true for all calibers but it certainly does with the creedmore. People act like bc is king and completely ignore FPS.
If I was to think that way I would have never switched from the 124 hammer to the 123 because the 123 has much lower bc. But it starts 200 FPS faster and actually give me the same max range or slightly better I just get much less drop out to 400 which is mostly we're I hunt.

I'm not saying Berger's don't work or even they are crap. But to say they are better is not the case.
I have hunted many many places in Texas and around the US and unfortunately I have to use guides. The one bullet that I have heard many many of them curse is Berger. In fact one Texas ranch said that if you must use it for some larger game he would take a deposit for the animal before you tried. Those people see more hunting in a year then most of us in ten. If many different times nes complained about Berger must be something to it.
More than likely the same issues I saw with mine in my creed on thick skinned game. Only difference is I made a perfect shot and was able to get a second into my oryx and it went down. Two rounds with poor performance. I still think for deer eld and Berger are tough to beat for how fast they kill but I will keep doing my thing with confidence.
I've yet to hear anyone explain. That if both bullets hit the recommended min FPS around the same how does the lead bullet beat it?
If you say they open lower speed well than I could say well so will my hammer. May the work yep will they always work nope.
If you put the Berger bullets where they'll do the most good, in softer tissues, and they work as designed they will perform very well.

The problem is I've seen too many cases where they failed to open up at all and just penciled through or blew up shallow failing to penetrate into the body cavity before fragmenting for me to have confidence in them.

The one deer I shot this year with a Berger bullet failed to track and exploded shallow causing an excessive amount of wasted meat and a slow death. That reminded me of why I quit shooting them. I'd found an old box of 300RUM loaded with the 210 and had just decided to go ahead and shoot them up so I could have the cases to reload with.

The rest I expended on paper targets and rocks.

Be even posted the applied charts. Seem people move on from that. Then go into well bc is higher on a Berger I can shoot things farther. Well not if the bullet won't open.
Now this doesn't hold true for all calibers but it certainly does with the creedmore. People act like bc is king and completely ignore FPS.
If I was to think that way I would have never switched from the 124 hammer to the 123 because the 123 has much lower bc. But it starts 200 FPS faster and actually give me the same max range or slightly better I just get much less drop out to 400 which is mostly we're I hunt.
BC is only one part of the equation. It doesn't matter how high the BC is if the bullet fails to perform as expected after hitting the target.

Shots were and continue to be made with lower BC bullets at and beyond a thousand yards.

A high BC reduces drop and wind effect but they don't make a bullet perform any better terminally.

Recent Posts