best 300 win mag round for deer

As noted in several posts previously, nearly any properly designed .30 caliber bullets will be sufficient for hunting deer out to 400 yards and even further.

There is really no reason except desire to use the heavy for caliber bullets although this trend is common currently. I'm not suggesting anything untoward at all but shooting a proper 150/155 grain bullet is more than sufficient given your parameters.

1708693019329.png

These are not necessarily long range, high performance loads but they are certainly perfectly qualified for hunting deer.

I use the Badlands 150 gr. Super BD2 in a .300 Win. Mag which is exceptional, not only for your 400 yards but good out to 950 yards if you feel up to needing it.

Enjoy!

:)

Actually to 500 yards if you like Barnes the 130gr TTSX is fantastic. We have run it in the 300Bee for deer and lopes. A little less recoil, great wound channel without a ton of bruising and it's a frozen rope out to 400 yards.
I have a Win M70 300 Bee with 23" barrel I like to try this load. Recommendations on powder/primer?
Sorry didn't meant to high jack.

Last edited:
Back in '97 I got my first 300WM, Mod 700 BDL SS, and was invited to a Hill Country deer hunt. The Rancher wanted a bunch of deer shot off, for the herd's health. It was a 4 deer County too. I had just got the rifle, so no load workup as yet (we used the then Barnes 180xbt later) I bought some Federal ammo that, back then, they had it loaded with the Sierra 150 Pro Hunter. I thought it would puff them up like a 220 Swift did coyotes, ha. No sir, they acted just like Nosler Partitions! so that is a viable, easily sourced option to handload/ If factory loads, the Federal Fusions are just as tough. BUT, have a great time man!

Barnes Vor-TX 150-grain.
Federal Premium 180-grain TSX.
Winchester Deer Season XP 150-grain Polymer Tip.
Barnes VOR-TX 180-grain TTSX.
Nosler Partition 200-grain.

The best choice for you may depend on your specific rifle and shooting needs, so it's always a good idea to test different rounds and see which one works best for you.

The way the wind blows here in southern Wyoming, I opt for heavier bullets in my 300 Win. I got that rifle in 93 and have shot critters of all sorts over a wide range with it. I use the same loads for both deer and elk, so they are a bit on the heavy side just for deer. For years, I shot 180 grain Nosler partitions. Then I switched to 190 grain long range Nosler Accubonds. For the last 3 years, I have used 200 grain Hornady ELDX bullets. Every one of those bullets and loads have served me well. I just shoot the one that's really accurate, pretty aerodynamic and is a solid elk killer.

You have received a lot of good, reasonable information. However, I've a question and a remark.

Question: Will you be hunting any other big game with this rifle/cartridge?

If the answer is yes…..why specialize with just one bullet? Choose a bullet that will perform on the largest, toughest game that you'll hunt…..and use it for everything.

My wife and I hunt game smaller and quite a bit larger than your typical deer, with calibers a bit larger than your 300……using the same bullet for all game. We've never had any issues on game from Pronghorn through moose. She's using a 225 grain Barnes TTSX and I'm running Barnes 270 LRX's.

With reloading components as difficult to come by and expensive as they are, choose one good bullet for all game you expect to hunt…..go forth and kill!

We try to simplify things as much as possible, firmly believing in and following the KISS method……use the same bullet and same zero for everything! memtb

Last edited:
Good advice mem, I use my little 7x57 to play with different loads. This year I will settle in for the summer (trigger time) with the 175 HH for my 338/06 AI and the 154HHT Hammer for my 300 WSM. I have a Sierra 150 PH for my 300WSM practice bullet. More trigger time!

so i just got a remington sendero 300 win mag (my first 300) and i have been reading on some of the performance from different bullets,, what are some that yall are using with success. shot ranges will be sub 400 yds.
Well I have used most successfully for deer and Elk are 180 grn Nosler partition with 80.5 grn of H1000 federal 215 magnum rifle primers, full length was 3.305. I used to run whatever cases I had trimmed and prepped. Now working with newer design bullets but that was my tried and trued favorite. Working on ELD-X loads and Accubonds and some monos, but haven't hunted with them yet.

You have received a lot of good, reasonable information. However, I've a question and a remark.

Question: Will you be hunting any other big game with this rifle/cartridge?

If the answer is yes…..why specialize with just one bullet? Choose a bullet that will perform on the largest, toughest game that you'll hunt…..and use it for everything.

My wife and I hunt game smaller and quite a bit larger than your typical deer, with calibers a bit larger than your 300……using the same bullet for all game. We've never had any issues on game from Pronghorn through moose. She's using a 225 grain Barnes TTSX and I'm running Barnes 270 LRX's.

With reloading components as difficult to come by and expensive as they are, choose one good bullet for all game you expect to hunt…..go forth and kill!

We try to simplify things as much as possible, firmly believing in and following the KISS method……use the same bullet and same zero for everything! memtb
Yep, that is the best approach, now that I am older have multiple calibers, for hunting and shooting it is one of my hobbies but with the pressure for components I agree availability and cost is just going through the roof.