Best 20 gauge Semi-Auto for son

I agree with Stammster about waiting a little longer but for turkey (where there isn't a lot of swinging going on) he could move up to a 20 gauge now depending on his build. I taught both my daughter and son on a Rem 1100 20g youth gun. It has a compact stock and a 21 in barrel with interchangeable chokes. The Benelli M2 is a better gun overall but recoil management is a lot better on the Remington.

A 20 guage is a lifelong shotgun. I still use mine to hunt hunt pheasants in an open field. Agree with buy once cry once, but enjoy a lifetime

Benelli Montefeltro youth model is what I bought my son when he was young. Started with a single 410, then single 20 that I weighted the stock and then the Benelli that he still shoots today at 18 yrs old. Light front end and carries great. Lastly, a semi auto will not make him a bad shot... great gun!!

Went through the same process w my 2 boys and as a 4H shotgun instructor. Went from single shot .410 to 20ga auto for my boys. Some good advice previously posted. Depending on his current .410 there is a very good chance a 20ga gas auto will have less felt recoil so better chance on seeing him enjoy shooting and develope good shooting form. Most importantly is can he SAFELY handle a larger gun. I.e. can he mount the gun properly, control the muzzle etc. There are big differences in different gun weights even just by a half a pound. Have him try different guns even if it's just in a store. If he can you have some good options previously posted. Yes it's easy to get trigger happy with an auto. The fix is only let them load one round at a time until they prove themselves. My 2 cents on a gun is look at the Franchi Infinity 3. Below is a Quote from their website. I have 1st hand experience w this gun and it's 1st rate. The other advantage it comes with a spacer type system between the action and buttstock so you can adjust comb height and draft (up and down, left and right) so they get a semi custom fit.

"Franchi's Affinity 3 Compact is a short-stock, 24-inch or 26-inch version of the full-size Affinity 3. The buttstock offers a 123/8-inch length-of-pull, to which, spacers can be added. As a young shooter grows, so grows the gun. When appropriate, a full-size buttstock can be fitted to the Affinity 3 Compact.

I'll give you my 2-cents worth. I will never forget the first time I shot a semi automatic shotgun when I was a young lad at the age of 8 years old. The gun was too long for me to reach the forearm and I wrapped my hand around the receiver. When I pulled the trigger, the lever on the bolt promptly disengaged my fingernails and fingertips from my fingers, splattering blood all over my body and face. It was one of the most painful experiences that I ever had and it was years before I ever shot another semi auto shotgun. I got a Remington Model 97 and still have it 64 years later. But my favorite 20ga I shoot is a Beretta.

I bought a Mossberg SA-20 youth model for my grand kids, one grandson prefers an old Winchester 37A that was cut down for my brother, well over 50 years old - go figure. Arm strength is a factor to consider and a 12 youth model shooting 7/8 oz loads is also concideration.

If he's going to keep that rig for a lifetime,Franchi 28 gauge, AA Winchester shells,
Mec 600 JR. A case of those AA's can be reloaded to various levels to match the game hunted and they last a long time.Even an old quail hunter will get a smile on his face when he puts a little 5.4lb 48AL 28ga up to the shoulder,swings like a Merkel 410 SxS.Most guys know, those Italian gunmakers know a bit about shaving weight off a shotgun and the ,brilliance of that 48 in 28 gauge, just makes holy smoke of a clay pigeon, with 3/4 ounce of #8 shot!!

I have a Franchi affinity 3 inch semi-auto that I absolutely love. It is super reliable and light weight. I paid about $700 when they first came out and now they have gone up in price and have been updated a little. My son loves this gun and wants it for himself, which some day I will give to him. If you are considering the Benelli, take a look at the Franchi's. They have a very similar action and are more reasonably priced.

I have a Franchi affinity 3 inch semi-auto that I absolutely love. It is super reliable and light weight. I paid about $700 when they first came out and now they have gone up in price and have been updated a little. My son loves this gun and wants it for himself, which some day I will give to him. If you are considering the Benelli, take a look at the Franchi's. They have a very similar action and are more reasonably priced.
garbage.

Mossberg SA20 or Weatherby SA-08 or Tristar Viper 20. Almost all the same gun. All made in Turkey under Beretta licensing. All light with soft recoil. Add a ported choke from KICKS or Pattermaster and lessen the recoil even more. Just be sure to have the trigger pull lightened as they come with about a 7# pull. Needs to be close to 3.5#.
I got my son the Weatherby Sa08. It's nice but you need high velocity rounds 1300 or faster. If you get lower velocity it sometimes doesn't eject.