Best 20 gauge Semi-Auto for son

David F

Looking for experiences and suggestions for a 20 gauge semi auto shotgun for my sons 7th birthday. He currently shoots a single shot .410 and wants a 20 gauge. I don't know much about semi autos. I've had a 12 gauge pump my whole life. He wants to hunt upland, turkeys, pheasants and waterfowl so looking for a versatile gun he can grow into. Reliability is very important and the cost not so much! Thanks for the suggestions!

Looking for experiences and suggestions for a 20 gauge semi auto shotgun for my sons 7th birthday. He currently shoots a single shot .410 and wants a 20 gauge. I don't know much about semi autos. I've had a 12 gauge pump my whole life. He wants to hunt upland, turkeys, pheasants and waterfowl so looking for a versatile gun he can grow into. Reliability is very important and the cost not so much! Thanks for the suggestions!

Don't take this the wrong way, but I would never get a 7 year old a 20 gauge semi. It teaches bad habits. There is a lot to be said about waiting for the right shot that is instilled with a single shot. Plus I'm not sure you'll find even a youth 20 gauge semi that will fit a 7 year old. If so, it certainly won't be balanced.

I'd wait until he is around 10 or 11. Until then, stick with that 410 a little longer or transition to a 20 in a single shot.

If you can 1,an Ithaca SKB xl. They're light accurate extremely well made. I have had 1for over 40yrs. I taken numerous deer turkeys, grouse, pheasants and squirrels over the years without any issues other than 40yrs of normal wear and tear it looks as good as the day I got it. I have both the slug and shot barrels.