A Turkey Day With My Son

Kevin Cram

My son Kaleb age 3 joined me on a fall (2007) turkey hunt. This was the first time I took him turkey hunting. I've drilled in his head that you must be absolutley still and totally quiet. He sat between my legs for almost 2 hours and didn't move an inch. Finally the local flock of birds moved in and we had about 30 birds within 20 yards of us. I whispered to Kaleb I was going to shoot and he quietly said OK. The bird dropped at the shot and the rest of the birds didn't know what to do. We sat there another 15 minutes and watched several of the the other turkeys come over and check out their dead buddy. My 3 year old son had so much patience it makes me wonder if he might have fallen asleep:rolleyes: I really enjoy taking my kids hunting with me on occasion and everyone should take a child hunting and fishing so they too can enjoy the wonderous outdoors.

FallTurkey2007.jpg

thats pretty cool kevin.as you said we all should be involved with young ones in the outdoors.i took a young fellow(12 yrs old,from my church)spring turkey hunting this year.never had hunted a day in his life.we got on a bird that was gobbling on the roost.i found a windfall tree that made a perfect setup location.that bird gobbled 35 times while on the tree and after he flew down.i also instucted him to be very quiet and still.he listened.i didnt get that bird(usually my story)but had a great outing with a young man who may have never had the opertuntity to do so.i am now taking him to get his hunter safety certification.jason

That's great to hear Jason. I love to get kids involved in this kind of stuff. I've got a young man at our church who has been begging to come woodchuck hunting with me. I hoping to bring him along to the Woodchuck Hunt 08'.

:DOur youth are the ones who will someday be dragging our deer for us, gotta get em' and train em' while their young.:D

Thats the age to start them hunting!!!

I carried my son duck hunting at two and he is now 40
and takes me hunting.

When we started I made a decoy bag that went over my sholders and
had a bag in front and back (Decoys in the front and him and my shotgun
and a thermos of hot chocolate in the back) because he could'nt walk in
the knee deep marsh.

He loved it and still does.

Great Picture
J E CUSTOM

Thats awesome!

btw, has anyone told you, that you have a striking resemblance to John Cena?

tn2_john_cena_4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.