Berger VLD Hunting: Load Results Range & Field

jhfleming

Bullet: Berger 175 gr. VLD Hunting weight sorted, all tested bullets were 175.0 grains. 100 pcs weighed: 174.8 (1), 174.9 (18), 175 (73), 175.1 (8) for a Std. Dev. of 0.1
Powder: RL-22 @ 68.7 grains
Brass: Nosler Custom, fire formed
Primer: Federal GM215M
Jump: 0.065" Ogive to lands
Length: 3.176" Head to Ogive, it was as long as I could go and get ammo in the mag.
Dies: RCBS Gold Medal with Micrometer, neck sizing only

Range Results:
Conditions: 74.3⁰ F, Wind 1.2 MPH Variable L to R, Pressure 29.4, Elevation 475 ft
Measured velocity: Avg. of 5 shots 2968.4 fps, Std. Dev. 15
Group Size: ¼" for 4 of 5 shots, pulled one

Load developed in 2 days with 60 rounds using the Optimal Charge Weight method. Last 30 rounds dialed the weight to 0.1 grain. This was done out of necessity due to late arrival of scope and illness, I consider myself lucky.
Rifle: Browning X-Bolt, no modifications
Scope: IOR Valdada 6-24 x 56

Field results: Impact within ~1.5" at 475 yards, Elk went 30 yards downhill before nose diving, bullet appeared to fragment after penetrating the skin one lung was shredded the other intact on a broadside shot. This was my first time observing a bullet impact in the field so please take that into account.
Used the Hornady ballistic calc on their site to get drops to 500 yards, forgot to tape the range card to my stock before I left, card got wet on morning of day one and was unreadable good thing I had memorized the drops, lesson learned. Was told I would not have to shoot beyond 300 yards next time I'll have the drops to 1000 yards on a water proof card! Rookie mistake.
Overall was impressed with the Berger once load was tuned the accuracy was great as was terminal performance. Weight variation was very impressive compared to other brands I have measured. I'm interested to see what the 210 gr will do.
Hope this was helpful, AZ Kid.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.