270 win 140g berger vld hunting load advice

Abolt

Hey all, I have been wanting to try some berger bullets in my .270 after reading good things about them in other callibers here.

I found some berger vld hunting 140g today in town but they didn't have the loading manual. I was just wondering if someone could give me a place to start loading. I plan on seeing if cabelas has one next weekend when i'm in rogers.
The powders i currently have are win 760, imr4831 and rl19. also I don't have a col gauge but had a friend check my chamber with hornady 140g btsp and it was touching the lands at 3.285". I know this is comparing apples and oranges but is there any way to get me in the ball park with a col before i also pick up a col gauge next weekend. (however it looks like cabelas is out of the hornady modified cases.) thanks for the help i was just looking to make some up either tonight or the morning and do a little shooting tomorrow. thanks agian.

Hey Abolt,
Nosler's #6 show's IMR4831 to be the "Most Accurate Powder Tested" and list 53.5gn (2910fps)as max and 49.5gn (2670fps) as bottom load. W760; 53.0gn (3018fps) - 49.0gn (2835fps), RL19; 55.0gn (3003fps) - 51.0gn (2779fps). Take into consideration that this is for the Nosler bullets, they used a 24" Shilen barrel and Winchester cases and Fed 210 primers. Their OAL is 3.340". Work up in to these max loads. Also, check out Reloader's Nest - a reloaders resource, they have a lot of info on most every cartridge availiable.
As for the COAL; before the gauges were inventred, I would take the bolt out of my rifle and place the bullet to be loaded in to the chamber. Lay it in there with your rifle somewhat horizontal and gently take a 1/4' dowel rod (about 15" long and gently snug the bullet into the lands and grooves. Have another 1/4" dowel rod (DR) long enough (30") to push down the barrel from the muzzle end. Gently hold the short DR against the base of the bullet and let the long DR snug up against the bullet tip. I used a knife to "mark" this length where the DR enters the barrel.
Take the bullet out of the chamber, return the bolt and slide the long DR back down the barrel until it contacts the bolt face. Mark this length with your knife. Measure between the two marks. You now have your OAL for this bullet. Hope this helps. JohnnyK.

thanks for the help so far, i do have the speer and hornady manuals just not the berger. i was under the impression that the bergers were a little bit of there own breed. i guess it wouldn't hurt to start in the middle of posted values of these two books and go from there in 1g incriminats?

also just did the dowl rod measurement you talked about and came up with 3.279. should i start .010 off and go from there?

I emailed Walt Berger [email protected] for load data on the 150 VLD. He sent me the info I needed and have found my go to load in 2 rifles.
Mine likes 56.5 with H4831 loaded right at 3.34".

Good luck...

Abolt, if you pm me your email I can forward you the Berger load data. I received it from them awhile back.

This will get you started, but go buy the Berger Manual. Lots of great info as well as loading data.

Attachments

• 2013-03-03_12-03-06_448.jpg
    2013-03-03_12-03-06_448.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 1,064
well i went ahead and loaded up 4ea from 51 to 57g to find max and see how they liked imr 4831. just looking for some feedback, and suggestions. I stopped at 3 shots at 57g as the 3rd shot had blew a hole beside the primer.

Attachments

• phone 055.jpg
    phone 055.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 773
  • phone 056.jpg
    phone 056.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 652
  • phone 057.jpg
    phone 057.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 665
  • phone 058.jpg
    phone 058.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 622
  • phone 059.jpg
    phone 059.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 613
  • phone 060.jpg
    phone 060.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 681
.5 grain up and down from 53. Bergers I've loaded respond a lot to seating depth. I would find the best group by charge then play with depth. I sent you an email about adjusting seating depth using bergers.

i will read through about the seating depth. also a little info on the rifle it is a browning abolt medallion .270 with the trigger set at 2.5 with a leupold vxII 3-9x40

a few more. any advice on my next step? thanks,

Next step? I'd stop right there. For hunting your getting great great accuracy. If you're gonna do some bench rest competition you may want to practice a bit more and maybe week the load...:)

Me thinks getting a blow out in the primer at that location with that load is a fault of the primer.

Just say'n.

What primers are you using? I've never needed to use mag primers in anything but my 338 edge. I'd also look for some H4831 or imr7828 ( I use it with 150's and 130's and will be trying it with the 140's). Or the imr 4350 powder, which I have seen members here use very accurately. Might also want to send out a fired case to a gunsmith or machinist to tap it for the hornady set up. You'll get a more accurate reading with a fired case for your coal. gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.