Berger VLD and SMK question, experience wanted please...

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

I am up to it again, working on a varmint line of wildcats. Just starting out on this so it will be a bit before they are ready, looking for vialble commerical bullet options to make them work as I want them to.

Would like any information any of you could offer me as far as velocity results you are getting with the Berger 50 and 55 gr VLD 20 cal bullets and also the Sierra 90 gr SMK in 22 cal.

Basically what I want to know is how fast have you guys been able to drive these bullets and in what twist barrels for best accuracy results.

Just as a teaser, I have plans for the 17, 20, 22 and 6mm AV.

AV stands for Allen Varminter.

I cant give you any meaningful info on any of the bullets you ask about, even though I shoot a lot of the 90SMKs and Bergers because I am running them out of a lowly 223.
But I do know the 80 grain SMKs will run very accurately and reliably up to about 3350 out of a 22-6.5x47 Lapua with an 8 twist Schillen. ( that figure is probably based only on what matches my drops, I cant recall if I ever actually chronoed the load. If traditional pressure signs mean anything it is a pretty mild load.)
The 22x47 basically mirrors the 220 swift in powder capacity and pressure rating, but has a small primer pocket and uses lapua brass. I guess I should have gone with a 7.5 twist because the 90 bergers do not quite stabilize.

Thank you, useful information. IT seems we are behind the times when it comes to small caliber, high BC bullets that will take the high RPMs and higher velocities we are getting into.

I am shooting the 90gr SMKs out of a 8 twist .223 wssm. I have gotten up to 3300fps with Ramshot Magnum powder with no problems.

I am shooting the 50gr Bergers out of a 20br @3800fps with a 9 twist. I have not shoot it a lot since they announced the 55. I have a 1000 ordered now. I will be able to give you a report on the 55s as soon as I get them!

Thank you very much for the information. Just what I wanted.

I was hoping to get the 90 gr SMK up to around 3500 fps at least with my new wildcat design.

In the 20 cal. I am also looking to go with the 55 gr Berger and hope to see 3900 fps if it will take that velocity level.

Thanks again,

Kirby would these rounds be for P-dogs or for coyotes, because I have shot a lot of dogs over the years and I have used 17 coyote my design 20 mach 4 20-223 AI 220 swith 22 BR 6 BR 243 AI 223 223 AI 17 hornet AI and so on, saying that there isn't much that hasn't been tryed out there. If you get a casing much bigger than the ones mention then you will be getting in to burning up throats. One other thing for me would be the cost of bullets , when shooting over 1000 rounds at one time or outing bergers and match bullets are not cheat enough, and do not expand at long range on dogs like bil tips and bliz king or v-maxs. I have shot 20 gr v-maxs out of my 17 as high as 4400 fps but keep them at 3800 to 4000 fps. My 20 cal 22 BR and 6mm BR run at 3800 with 50 gr Bil tip 22 and 55 bil tip in the 6mm BR the 20 cals. run at 3800 - 3900 with a 32- 34 gr bullet. I hope this may help in some way. Tim

Varmint,

These wildcats will follow the same path as their bigger brothers, that being, they are designed for deliberate, low volume, precision shooting at long range for each caliber. I have no desire to design and release a high volume shooter at this time. As you mentioned, WAY to many of those out there already.

If my designs can not offer a significant increase in performance over what is already out there, they will not be released. Lots of testing to come and all will be reporter here, good and bad. Just in the process of rounding up potential bullets that may offer what I want.

Thanks for the information!!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.