Berger Match Hybrid Target 215 gr for Hunting?

Quantity does have a quality all it's own. A bigger bullet's higher sectional density and greater mass will improve terminal ballistics. But I'm no fan of either target bullets or FMJ's on game. What if everything doesn't go right? What if your POI isn't at chosen POA? I've been witness to badly hit deer, antelope and elk due to myriad factors. Poor bullet choice being one.

No Aoudad experience, But could they really be that much tougher than a mature bull elk? Just asking because I don`t know. The closest shot I have had with the 215s was about 250 on a big cow elk. Classic berger performance. DRT
No follow up shot required on that one. wow

Practice, be confident in your shooting skills at the distances you expect. Don't waiver from your comfort zone. Bullet selection is a factor but not the only one. Many an animal has run off cause of poor shot placement. Double lungs or a heart shot will be fatal with any bullet from a .300WM, but might not give you the DRT you might want. If your not concerned about the cape or meat, a high shoulder shot should anchor him where he stands. Good luck on the hunt!

Practice, be confident in your shooting skills at the distances you expect. Don't waiver from your comfort zone. Bullet selection is a factor but not the only one. Many an animal has run off cause of poor shot placement. Double lungs or a heart shot will be fatal with any bullet from a .300WM, but might not give you the DRT you might want. If your not concerned about the cape or meat, a high shoulder shot should anchor him where he stands. Good luck on the hunt!
Great advice. Thank you!
Im either going to hunt with the 215 gr Berger, or 180 gr Partition or Barnes TTSX. I leave for Mexico in the am but when I get back Im going to shoot all 3 at distance and decide based on group size. I want to be comfortable that I hit what I intend to hit. I think any one of those 3 projectiles will produce a clean fast kill if I do my part.

They say target bullets, not hunting bullets. I never used them, so I don't really have any idea as to how they work. They are being sold as a target bullet and not a hunting bullet should say all that's is needed. I've down this road before, and now I find myself here again. From I gather is they most group really good from a lot of rifles. Which is a good thing, but again Target bullets, not Hunting bullets.

As Co brad said ,there a 35 pg thread on here,too,I just dont know how to link it.Amoung others
Ive been reading it since someone mentioned it.
I know from friends and reading that they work at long range- wasnt sure how theyd work if the distance was closer

Your 300 with 215 Bergers @ 2800 fps will give you 1780 fps and 1500 ft lb of energy at sea level. This improves at higher elevations. In my opinion 1500 lbs of energy is the minimum for game of this size, so you should be good to 850 yards. However, as was stated in a previous post, shot placement is important. The 215 grain Berger is a great bullet, (not a magic bullet) it can be very accurate when loaded accurately, and will bring down an Elk efficiently with proper placement, go for optimal bone and organ damage, you have the bullet and energy to do the job. I do not advocate opening the meplat as it changes BC and if not done consistently will reduce accuracy as well as range. You don't need another variable in long range hunting.

They say target bullets, not hunting bullets. I never used them, so I don't really have any idea as to how they work. They are being sold as a target bullet and not a hunting bullet should say all that's is needed. I've down this road before, and now I find myself here again. From I gather is they most group really good from a lot of rifles. Which is a good thing, but again Target bullets, not Hunting bullets.

Wasn't Berger's original designation a target bullet? Just sayin.