Berger 6.5mm 156 gr. bullets. . .where are they???

There's always a lot of potential to be wrong when trying to outguess a manufacturer but in this situation I think what's happening is called re-design.

Berger released a bullet which, unfortunately, was not ready for or suited to the then current market. Sierra's entry was better (subjectively) so why would Berger release something not up to par? Better, in my opinion, to go back to the drawing board and testing tunnel to perfect the product which they will be proud to release. This process as we all know from past experience could be a slightly long ordeal depending on how enthused the design team really is.

I also think that the 'heavy for caliber' train has left the station and is off for other opportunities. While it's nice to have the selection of bullets and to be able to utilize larger capacity cases with heavier for caliber bullets, it is not an end all solution for the vast majority of us. It's a small niche. We know that the current trend is back to the biggest slice of the pie getting the most attention. Plus, Berger has been battling lack of product in the supply chain. The impact from them missing supply deadlines is significant as is seen in the comments made by shooters. They are busy mending relationships and making bullets as fast as they can get the supply up so I figure that they have their hands full, especially with a new(er) owner at the helm.

Not liking the 150's??
I love the 150 SMK in my current 6.5SS w. 1:8". It will become a loaner rifle for friends & family.
My new one will be a bit higher end, almost strictly for LR deer/antelope hunting. Maybe even some elk.

Kelbly Atlas Tac SA
Wyatt's extended box (in hand)
Carbon Fiber bolt knob (in hand)
26" 1:7.5" Proof Sendero light (ordered)
Not sure on what brake yet
Manners PRS2 in Tac Moola (ordered)
Rem factory alloy bottom metal (in hand)
Timney CE (in hand)
Seekins alloy 34mm low rings (in hand)
S&B PMII 5-20×50US

There's always a lot of potential to be wrong when trying to outguess a manufacturer but in this situation I think what's happening is called re-design.

Berger released a bullet which, unfortunately, was not ready for or suited to the then current market. Sierra's entry was better (subjectively) so why would Berger release something not up to par? Better, in my opinion, to go back to the drawing board and testing tunnel to perfect the product which they will be proud to release. This process as we all know from past experience could be a slightly long ordeal depending on how enthused the design team really is.

I also think that the 'heavy for caliber' train has left the station and is off for other opportunities. While it's nice to have the selection of bullets and to be able to utilize larger capacity cases with heavier for caliber bullets, it is not an end all solution for the vast majority of us. It's a small niche. We know that the current trend is back to the biggest slice of the pie getting the most attention. Plus, Berger has been battling lack of product in the supply chain. The impact from them missing supply deadlines is significant as is seen in the comments made by shooters. They are busy mending relationships and making bullets as fast as they can get the supply up so I figure that they have their hands full, especially with a new(er) owner at the helm.

You know what the neat hing is though. Even though they moved last year so they had all the down time from just moving plus they had to reset back all the machines to get them producing again. Whats neat about it is. They made and moved more bullets last year the the year before. Even though they had all those set backs. They still made more bullets then the year before. So the lack of bullets is not because there production went backwards. More people are buying them. Not to mention people are stocking up.

Last edited:
You what the neat hing is though. Even though they moved last year so they had all the down time from just moving plus they had to reset back all the machines to get them producing again. Whats neat about it is. They made and moved more bullets last year the the year before. Even though they had all those set backs. They still made more bullets then the year before. So the lack of bullets is not because there production went backwards. More people are buying them. Not to mention people are stocking up.

I happened to be driving through MO last week so I was able to pick up 2 boxes of 6.5 140s at Midway. But, short supply and $50 a box is starting wear the shine off Berger....

G1 BC of .685 is nothing to sneeze at. And....they are available.

150 SMK is G1 BC of .713.

Who knows when the time comes. I know the 150 SMK put a smackdown on last year's pronghorn for me. And I can get them up above 3100 pretty easily.

I'm still stuck on the Hornady ELDMs at .697 G1.
Amazingly, I have had NO TROUBLE getting them locally... or up to 3100 FPS... in Winchester brass... ADG won't help with my washed up cartridge!! LMAO!!
The only thing they are putting a smack down on for me is paper. I can't get drawn for Antelope.
I might end up on a trip to Wyoming for that...

I'm still stuck on the Hornady ELDMs at .697 G1.
Amazingly, I have had NO TROUBLE getting them locally... or up to 3100 FPS... in Winchester brass... ADG won't help with my washed up cartridge!! LMAO!!
The only thing they are putting a smack down on for me is paper. I can't get drawn for Antelope.
I might end up on a trip to Wyoming for that...
I had 25BPs this year for AZ antelope. No tag here either. So NM here we come.

I had 25BPs this year for AZ antelope. No tag here either. So NM here we come.

OMG.
That's beyond ridiculous!
I'm becoming "Not a fan" of AZGFD.
Sure wish they'd do something to increase herd size across the board...all species.
I'll look in to New Mexico for antelope.
Might not be this year, planning an Elk hunt to Utah if things work out. Didn't get drawn... again.

Getting back on track, hoping the 147's will do ok on Antelope, otherwise hoping the Berger's are out by the time I actually get to go.

G1 BC of .685 is nothing to sneeze at. And....they are available.

150 SMK is G1 BC of .713.

Who knows when the time comes. I know the 150 SMK put a smackdown on last year's pronghorn for me. And I can get them up above 3100 pretty easily.
I ran the 160 Matrix out n my SS up to 3100' with RL33. They shot very well but I actually liked the 150 Matrix better on game. I think I used .310 G7 with those. We dropped a moose at 906 yatds with a 150. I still have 4-5 boxes of them.

I ran the 160 Matrix out n my SS up to 3100' with RL33. They shot very well but I actually liked the 150 Matrix better on game. I think I used .310 G7 with those. We dropped a moose at 906 yatds with a 150. I still have 4-5 boxes of them.
If you have any of those 160's laying around, I'd be interested....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts