Berger 338 - 300 grain

Long Dog

Any word or rumor on when we can expect the lastest and greatest version of the Berger 338 - 300 grain. gun)- - - - - - - - - - -

i called them and left a message with bryan about that this morning. i'll post here when/ if i hear back. maybe he'll chime in here first though.

only have about 80 left of mine, and i'm running them slow in a 338-378 improved.
the lady i talked to said that they are not producing anything(the old model) till the redesign is done and tested.

so, hope it's sooner than later.... anyone have any they want to sell?

What is the improved, I have 2 boxes of hybrids, had them since last fall. Hoping to get them air born next couple weeks.

No one really knows what the "improved" version is/will be, we all just hope we can send them at speeds in excess of 2800 FPS without the bullets deforming like the hybrids do.

can't the hybrids hang in there to around 2950? that's what i've been shooting them at, and have been having pretty good results so far.

i'm still fireforming, but accuracy seems amazing to me???

Lovdasnow, I've been doing alot of research on theses bullets and I found a post on here with pics of these bullets at 300 yards at 3066 fps with very good accuracy. Two bullets put in the same hole, if I can find the post ill let you know and what bryan litz said on the berger bulliten is they're trying to strengthen the bullet because what he believes is killing accuracy is nose slump. Hope this helps.

I have over 250 of the origional version down range to distances over a mile. Many many groups at 1000 to 1400 with .5 moa accuracy. This is in a 10 twist and I have been over 2800. I think the problems some seen was as much a result of a tighter that 10 twist as it was velocity. In my opinion in a hunting rifle with a 10 twist and umder 2900 these bullets are great. I have even checked expansion at close to 1200 yards and it looked darn good to me.

Glad I stock piled my stash with them.

Jeff

due to the lack of 300gr sierra's I just bought some 300gr bergers from 3rdgen shooters supply. I won't be pushing em' past 2750 in my Edge so I ASSume I should be ok.

I bought them hoping they were the improved version but I think not. Im sure my gun will shoot em' fine at lower speeds.

Lovdasnow,

I have been testing then out of my 338 Khan at around 3050 under US869 (114 grains) and they have been shooting very well. With all the talk about them, I'm not yet ready to declare them good at that speed, but so far so good.

Last time I looked "Third Generation Shooting Supply" had some in stock.

Shawn it's too bad you can't ship them up to Canada, I'd be in for a box or two. I am down to my last two rounds...

RDM 416 - You should know right away if you run into the problem. I ran them from 91gr to 95gr of H1000 from my edge AI. I had good 300 yard groups at 91 and 92gr, under 1/2moa, opened up slightly at 93, then at 94gr the group center dropped 3" and went out to about 4" wide. The 95's landed in the same wide group 3" low. FWIW I run them at 2940fps from a 10 twist 30" barrel, with no problems.

Each rifle seems to be different, if you search the posts on here no one seems to run into the problem at the same velocity levels. Could be that our chrony's are out 100fps realitive to each other but you don't seem to see the same velocity barrier posted.

ya the velocity differences do seem weird from the reading i've done. some guys see it at 2850, some at 2900, some at 2950, and some guys have no problems at over 3000????

i don't get it. most of them are 10 twists, so it seems it would be a little more consistent.
i've had good luck between 2950 and 3000, but i'm also scared i'm right on the edge. anytime i get a flier, i wonder in the back of my head if it's me that doing it, or is it the bullet?? more testing will ease those concerns though.

seems strange...

Lovadasnow, You are correct. I believe the problem is greatly more pronounced with people shooting rifles with tighter than 10 twists though.

I have found a sweet spot at 2795 in my 10 twist 27 1/2" Lilja. But if I get even a slight flier I never know if I should blame the wind, me or the bullet. I can only say I had one that for sure had a problem. Well I think it was a bullet problem. In a 1000 yard group shooting through 1/2" OSB I had one go out of group. Not Way out but probably 1 moa out left. This hole was oblong when all the others were perfect round. Was it bullet failure? Did it hit a hard spot in the OSB ? Maybe it got too many mosquitos on the way ?:D

But it has now made me a bit leary. I have never really concluded all the testing I want to. I truely feel they shoot tighter groups than my 300 SMK load, and the expansion tests I did were great to me. I am using a higher BC that the SMK by quite a bit and my drops seem good to a mile. But I know some have had issues and worry mine could fail at the wrong time.

Jeff gun)gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.