Berger 215 hybrids & R22 load data

Hello Phil. It is my rifle that Cheyenne1 is talking about. At 73-74 grain of H1000 I feel is way to slow of a velocity out of a 300 WIN MAG. As far as deciding which load to use; its to early to tell. We have never had a rifle act like this one. All 7 powder charges shot the same type of group; 1 ragged hole at 100 yds. I am going with data that BROZ has supplied over the years on here. At 79 gr we are at 2949 fps with a ES of 2 fps! This puts us in the velocity others are getting. I know accuracy is the most important. We will test more on the weekend weather permitting. Conditions that these groups were shot in were less than ideal. Wind chill of around -25C. Really hoping that the 79 gr load holds accuracy farther out. AS far as FEEDING IT WHAT IT LIKES. So far it likes everything we have fed it. That is the weird thing. Usually some loads open up your groups. Not the case with this one.

Hello Phil. It is my rifle that Cheyenne1 is talking about. At 73-74 grain of H1000 I feel is way to slow of a velocity out of a 300 WIN MAG. As far as deciding which load to use; its to early to tell. We have never had a rifle act like this one. All 7 powder charges shot the same type of group; 1 ragged hole at 100 yds. I am going with data that BROZ has supplied over the years on here. At 79 gr we are at 2949 fps with a ES of 2 fps! This puts us in the velocity others are getting. I know accuracy is the most important. We will test more on the weekend weather permitting. Conditions that these groups were shot in were less than ideal. Wind chill of around -25C. Really hoping that the 79 gr load holds accuracy farther out. AS far as FEEDING IT WHAT IT LIKES. So far it likes everything we have fed it. That is the weird thing. Usually some loads open up your groups. Not the case with this one.

Using a good smith/components and getting a lucky (hummer) barrel is a sweet thing.

BEEMAN,
Some guys have all the luck!! lol ! Just for grins take a look at "ladder testing" over on the Accurate Shooter Website. Jason Baney does a great job describing what it is and does. Jason is a great long range shooter so he knows his stuff! I believe his video can be found scrolling down through the Daily bulletin or going to the reloading forum. The ES looks great but its the SD that carries more weight. What is it for your 79 grain load?

Using a good smith/components and getting a lucky (hummer) barrel is a sweet thing.

Very true. We have had very good luck with BRUX barrels. Cheyenne1's 6.5 SHERMAN will shoot a 1 hole group at 100 yds as well. Components I used on my 300 WIN MAG are. BRUX #3 barrel, Borden Timberline action, Jewel trigger, Mcmillan game scout stock,holland QD brake and a NF 5-20X56 SHV. Complete it weighs 10 lb 2 oz.

I have used RL25 with the 215 Hybrid in my 300 win mag. With 73 grains I was getting 2830 fps out of my 26" barrel. And my rifle has shown to be fairly finicky to seating depth with any bullet, and surprisingly, it likes a large jump. .085" of jump has been the sweet spot for several different bullets, including the 215 hybrid.

I have extensive experience with several 300 wins, 215 Berger Hybrids and H-1000.

I offer this.

When comparing charge weights we must consider brass volume with this combination. Low volume brass, or short throated reamers will usually require a charge weight reduction of about 3 gr. This does not mean less velocity in all instances, but shorter throats and lower volume cases like RWS will see pressure sooner at lower charge weights from the high percentage of case fill.

With 300 win mags and 26 to 28" barrels, using H-1000 and 215 Hybrids, average velocities are usually 2900 to 3000 fps. when loaded to max and first signs of pressure start to show. This is in soft brass like Norma. Other harder cases may not show these signs yet. But that is why we use soft brass to look for pressure. I want to know when it is going to start, not after we pass the point.

With muzzle velocities close to 3K , like I am running, I recommend shot placement just below center mass in the crease behind the shoulder. Expect much expansion under 500 yards and seldom an exit on elk at these distances. However with 24 big game kills with the 300 win and a 215 we have never used a second shot to finish.

We have taken Antelope out to 1285 yards with this combo. Impact velocity was just above 1700 and we had a golf ball sized exit. This indicates still good expansion but I personally would not expect every instance at 1700 impact velocity to be the same. It has to be getting close to the edge of the window of expansion in my opinion. So Bergers 1800 number is sound advice. That said I plan to find out if they expand at 1600 when all the starts align for that shot, and on a soft antelope.

FWIW

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.