Berger 215 hybrids & R22 load data

Unofficial Gun Addict (UGA)

Heya... Got some 215s in just before deer opened. Got my deer, so now it's time to start on the Berger's for my 300wm. Wondering if anyone out there has tried this combo and gotten decent results. If so... What was your best ... Load and accuracy-wise?

I'm running a 3.450 coal... But haven't decided where I want to get these started. Velocity in Quikload looks low to me... So thought I'd check with you all before I started working up some loads.

If you could also include your barrel length...that'd be helpful.

Thanks!

-James

Last edited:
I just began my first reloading experience with the 215 bergers in my Savage 110 BA - 26" barrel. I got lucky and found an incredibly accurate round in 70g of 7828 ssc with once fired Barnes brass and CCI 250 primers. I loaded rounds touching the lands, .040", and .080" off lands and haven't seen a discernible difference between the three up to 600 yards. Using the Magnetospeed V3 I have an average of 2825 fps with an ES of 6. Shooting at 200 yards gave me a .3125" center to center 3 shot spread.
I have seen that many people are very successful with H1000 and I bought many pounds of it for that reason. I haven't been able to find a successful load with H1000 yet but I wouldn't let that deter you.
From what I have read and experienced, it seems like the 215 Bergers are an incredible bullet that will shoot well seated at varying depths and different powders.
Good luck

Hello, A bit off topic. Are you using the Magnetospeed V3 with the stock 110BA muzzle brake? If yes, are you happy with this setup? Thanks, Paul

jboscobuys,
We show a starting load of 66.0 grains. Maximum is 69.6 grains. Approximate velocities are 2653 to 2780 fps. Fill ratio is 95% and the loads were tested in a 26 inch barrel. Please let us know if you need anything else and thanks for using our bullets!
Take care!

Not much help here, but i too am extremely excited to test these out in my browning 300 mag.

I'm hoping the hybrid will actually live up to its name and allow alot of "jump" because my magazine severely handicaps that possibility.

Please post results!

Not using R22. My friend and I just finished a couple of 300 win mags. His is a Borden action, Brux #3 barrel holland brake Mcmillan game scout, jewel trigger and a SHV nightforce. These were built for a light weight elk gun.
Just finished loading for his on Sunday. we ended up at 79Gr of H-1000 with the 215 berger at 2950 FPS coal was 3.717 which is 30 thou off the lands. The reamer used has an extra 50 thou of freebore which is why they are so long.
The gun would shoot any load into one ragged hole at 100 yards. Started at 73 grains and worked up till we stopped at 79.

North Idaho Hunter,
Depending on what your "sweet spot" seating depth is you may not be able to cycle this round through your magazine. If using the rifle in single shot mode is not an issue this wont matter. If it does you may also want to test/use our 185 grain CLASSIC HUNTER .30 caliber bullet. These have a shorter SAMMI spec nose that allows them to be seated to magazine lengths. The bullet is also a HYBRID so it will be easy to tune your load as they are very tolerant of jump. If you need any more help please let us know here. And thank you for using our bullets!

Hi Phil
Not yet. Maybe this weekend we just got it together and this was the first we shot it.
I just got mine together last night same idea except with a stiller action and a manners stock. So that will be the the first project.

We have shot lots of the 215 hybrids out of our 300 ultra mags out to 900 yards. They seem to be the most forgiving bullet to load as far as distance to lands. Pretty much everything we started at 30 thou off and just leave them there as they shoot very good.

Cheyenne1,
The HYBRIDS are very forgiving. Please let us know what you find out this weekend!
Thanks for using our bullets!

Phil,
thank you very much for your help on the classic hunters. good to note!

Cheyenne, if your getting consistent groups from your starting charge of 73 grains, why would you go up in charge? this is just my opinion, but i would stay with the lower charge, simply because you'll have less pressure and it will give you slightly better brass life. sure you lose FPS, but you have more advantages on not such high pressure.

just a thought.

Thats a good question. We never chrongraphed the lighter loads at 73 or 74 grains. These were built to be a elk hunting rifles that can stretch them out a bit. So we were looking for as much performance out of them as we could get.
Even where we stopped there was no pressure, the velocity was where we wanted it to be. Also they are a pretty light gun and after we have all the drops for them done they will not be used for much else except hunting.

Cheyenne1,
North Idaho Hunter nailed it. All I have to add is that 'you have to feed the critter what IT likes". Not what you want. Accuracy is king always. FYI Industry minimum velocity at the target for proper bullet expansion is 1800 FPS. Minimum force to apply to the animal is 1100 foot lbs. Chronograph the 73 & 74 grain loads and run the velocities out on the load program on our website using the G7 BC and see what you get.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.