Berger 215 gr 300 WM load.

N570 in my last 300 WM did really well and I gained close to 100 FPS over H1000. Seating at .050" off the lands.

I typically will do similar to others and run one round up at each charge increment looking for max pressure. I like to run on the higher end (as we all do). However, I have also found with some rifles and Bergers, they just don't want to shoot fast.

I would start over at the lower end of the powder charges and see how it groups.

If you look at a program and see the difference between a 215 at 2686 FPS (my short Ruger mag box load) it runs out of steam at 775 yards. With my "long" load at 2826 FPS it runs out of steam at 875 FPS. That bullet is super efficient.
Thanks!!

That's quite a bit of vertical dispersion at 100. A lot of the time the Bergers like to jump. I would try seating them deeper before I start with a new powder. Also when was the last time you scrubbed that barrel? Just asking....Good luck!
I've been cleaning the barrel after every session making sure i shoot foulers before getting to the load.

All of my 300 WM have loved this combo, and all have loved it very close to this charge weight (75.5 actually). There is a decent bit of vertical dispersion in both of the groups listed. What are your velocity spreads looking like with these loads?

Also, you mentioned that you were using new Lapua brass. Is this first time firing? If so, you might see improvements with Fireformed brass.

The velocity is just a little lower than I would expect, but not much. If it were.me and you had the ability to do so, might.increase the neck tension by a little bit and see if the velocity comes up.and the accuracy improves some.

I've seen rifles that hate certain Breger bullets, but have never seen a 300 WM not love a 215 Hyb. Dont give up on it..
Thanks! I'll change NT, running .002 now. It's new brass also so that might be a factor

Attachments

• IMG_2879.jpeg
    IMG_2879.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2879.jpeg
    IMG_2879.jpeg
    41.1 KB · Views: 41
The attachment is directly off Bergers website. I am actually going out today to try the big jump loads in a 168 vld just because I am curious and have never tried a .130 jump before in a handload! If you have only taken it to +/- 0.030 off this might be a place to start before changing powder and primers. Even if you don't have the best powder charge of h1000 you will still be able to find the best seating depth assuming you shoot them all with the same powder/primers etc. Good luck with the new rifle and show us a picture if you can!

Attachments

• E222B485-9675-4C31-A2AA-9FC3CB0D9A98.png
    E222B485-9675-4C31-A2AA-9FC3CB0D9A98.png
    98.1 KB · Views: 71
I'd like to get an idea from the group what thought do you have when you see groups like these 2. Rifle shoots heavy ELDx great, but I'm stubborn and want to shoot Berger 215s. I'm using new Lapua brass, H1000 (75gr), Fed 215M, 0.002 NT. Played with seating depth from 0.010 to 0.040. Getting 2850 average velocity consistently.
Besides me pulling shots, what would you do differently to make rifle shoot MOA? Scope, torque, and usual things triple-checked. Perhaps it hates Bergers 🤣Thanks
I build the rifle around the bullet I will use ,barrels proof carbonfiber with best twist rate for the bullet stocks AI or the equal of them nightforce scopes or there equal all set to the right Ft lbs and I get 5 rounds at 100 just over 1/4 inch at that range off of bipod prone. I have used that round on moose out to 1000 boos bears both brown and blacks all one round it is also my vermin round for rock chuck wolves and coyotes

It's a custom terminus Action and Proof barrel. Charge weight was found firing single shots and looking for flat velocity nodes, it has worked before really well. Thanks
So I have used the same method a fair bit. But I'll load in three rounds in .2 increments three charge weights on either side of the "flat spot". So I would load 74.9, 75.1 75.3, 75.5, 75.7, 75.9 and 76.1 and see what groups the best. Also, try starting close to the lands. Maybe .010" or .020" off the lands. Being a hybrid ogive design, they are not as finicky when it comes to seating depth. And let that barrel get seasoned. I don't clean until my barrel tells me it needs cleaned