Berger 215 gr 300 WM load.

So I have used the same method a fair bit. But I'll load in three rounds in .2 increments three charge weights on either side of the "flat spot". So I would load 74.9, 75.1 75.3, 75.5, 75.7, 75.9 and 76.1 and see what groups the best. Also, try starting close to the lands. Maybe .010" or .020" off the lands. Being a hybrid ogive design, they are not as finicky when it comes to seating depth. And let that barrel get seasoned. I don't clean until my barrel tells me it needs cleaned
Awesome, thanks. I have a few loaded at 0.10 off and gonna see what they do today.
H

Awesome, thanks. I have a few loaded at 0.10 off and gonna see what they do today.
H
Howdy All, I spent a lot of time this year dialing in 215 Hy. In my C.A. 300Wm.
A suggestion from Broz LRO, was to start at mag length. Yours being custom may not have a issue. Mine is 3.600 .060 off the lands. So I worked with that, started with 3.598, it was moa at 100yrd, slowly moved back and I got lucky it was shrinking my groups, stopped at 3.590 with. .6 3 shot spread. So I'm. 070 back.
Using CCI250, H-1000, 1st fired Peterson long brass. I'm right at 2900fps. 12s.d.
Good Luck and Have Fun.

Do a OCW test before you jump to another powder or primer. Using a node from a pressure test is what I usually do to set where I think the OCW would be close to, and to know where max pressure is. Then adjust the charge weights by .3gr up and down. Give that a go and I am sure you find your barrels preferred charge.

Sorry if someone already said to do this.

I'd like to get an idea from the group what thought do you have when you see groups like these 2. Rifle shoots heavy ELDx great, but I'm stubborn and want to shoot Berger 215s. I'm using new Lapua brass, H1000 (75gr), Fed 215M, 0.002 NT. Played with seating depth from 0.010 to 0.040. Getting 2850 average velocity consistently.
Besides me pulling shots, what would you do differently to make rifle shoot MOA? Scope, torque, and usual things triple-checked. Perhaps it hates Bergers 🤣Thanks
You have something that works but want something that doesn't work made better? I personally go with what works....it's a deep and expensive Rabbit hole otherwise....3 grains difference........but you're right....you are stubborn!!! 🤣. Best of luck and I would also try 7828 SC or SSC....as well

You may also consider using once fired brass. With new brass it's possible that you just don't have the same case capacity you will have on subsequent firings. If you intend to always use new brass make sure you have correctly prepped that brass including normalizing neck tension with a mandrel. New brass comes with significant neck tension. Opening that up with a mandrel will make that more uniform and not quite so tight. Most people shoot .001-.002 neck tension and I certainly wouldn't even consider anything more than .003
Brass, brass, brass…very important. I disregarded brass prep for years. In the "old days" 400 yards was a long short. I never even sized new brass. Frankly, over 60 years of reloading for hunting, my 100's of kills were 250 yards or less. A 2" group at 100 yards was adequate. However, our shooting world changed significantly with technologic advances in optics, machining, metallurgy, propellent chemistry, and most important, bullet design & production quality control. Today, anything greater than a 1" group at 100 yards is unacceptable and anything greater than a 0.5" group is an incomplete project. Proper brass preparation is the foundation for tight groups. For hunting, I don't determine and sort cases using water weight case capacity, but I do: consistently stick with one brand of brass, anneal (even mew brass, except Lapua which is factory annealed), maintain case length spec range by trimming, control neck tension by using bushing size dies and/or mandrels. Bullet jump is also critical and was an elusive measurement until I discovered Hornady's Loc-n-Load modified cases, bullet ogive bullet comparator caliper sets. Can't hunt anymore but I enjoy preparing ammunition for my children and grand children and punching tight groups at 1000 yards. I filled the freezer annually for a lifetime with crude bullets and a rifle scope combo that cost less than a set of todays scope mounts. I miss those days, but long range shooting systems and ammunition keep my offspring in todays competitive hunting environment. Case preparation is the first step. Other responders have posted guidance regarding load development using chrono data. Berger is an awesome partner. I usually call them to discuss new cartridges if they haven't already published data. My current project is the new Weatherby 6.5 RPM. My 300 Win Mag loads use H-4831SC and CCI 250 primers. Good luck with your project!!

Just getting the carbon out, nothing crazy
Try KG-12 copper remover. Great product. Also, did you "break in" the barrel? A new barrel usually takes about 40 rounds, removing copper after a few shots to "hone" even precision hand lapped barrels. After a barrel quits grabbing copper, accuracy really improves.

I'd like to get an idea from the group what thought do you have when you see groups like these 2. Rifle shoots heavy ELDx great, but I'm stubborn and want to shoot Berger 215s. I'm using new Lapua brass, H1000 (75gr), Fed 215M, 0.002 NT. Played with seating depth from 0.010 to 0.040. Getting 2850 average velocity consistently.
Besides me pulling shots, what would you do differently to make rifle shoot MOA? Scope, torque, and usual things triple-checked. Perhaps it hates Bergers 🤣Thanks
According to Berger their bullets like a bit of a run up, try seating deeper in increments. Hope it works out for you.

According to Berger their bullets like a bit of a run up, try seating deeper in increments. Hope it works out for you.
"
Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a target competition shooter who does not worry about jamming a bullet:
1. .010 into (touching) the lands (jam) 6 rounds
2. .040 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .080 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .120 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Load 24 rounds at the following COAL if you are a hunter (pulling a bullet out of the case with your rifling while in the field can be a hunt ending event which must be avoided) or a competition shooter who worries about pulling a bullet during a match:
1. .010 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
2. .050 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
3. .090 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds
4. .130 off the lands (jump) 6 rounds

Shoot 2 (separate) 3 shot groups in fair conditions to see how they group. The remarkable reality of this test is that one of these 4 COALs will outperform the other three by a considerable margin. Once you know which one of these 4 COAL shoots best then you can tweak the COAL +/- .002 or .005. Taking the time to set this test up will pay off when you find that your rifle is capable of shooting the VLD bullets very well (even at 100 yards)."

FYSA, in case the H1000 does not work out ...
1699796808378.png

1699796857310.png

Good luck!

I have other primers, I'll give that a try! Thanks
I had a good load with 7828 in a winmag one time and I tried every large rifle primer I had. The results were interesting. Wish I would have kept that data. That was two barrels ago.

Cci no.34 were the hottest, by 30 plus fps, they were even hotter than a 215m. Cci 250's gave the best sd, and rem9½ gave the best accuracy. It was wild seeing the effect just a primer had on the load.

My current barrel, I've played with magpro, N570 and staballHD. Looking at previous targets I noticed a trend towards longer jump, around. 060" - .100"
I started my staballHD development at .080" and had good results.

A friend of mine that shoots a lot of 215 and 230 hybrids runs his at .010"-.020" and has awesome results. I just haven't had that luck with them.
I've shot pretty much the same groups with Retumbo with the 212 eld-x but at around 3000 fps. That was with max load according to the Lee manual!
barrel length ? I max out in a 26" around 2900 with magpro, and it's on the ragged edge. Comfortable at 2930 with N570 but man that stuff is hot and hard on a barrel. StaballHD I'm topped out and on the edge at 2875.

Recent Posts