300 prc load data Berger bullets 210VLD and 215 FYI

Vol1975

For those that are interest in Berger load data for the 300 PRC in these two bullets. They would only give me the data over the phone. Working load up for mine and like to compare load data with other companies. Interesting how much more powder they use vs Hornady.

Anyway just wanted to share. Don't know if it's posted anywhere.

Attachments

• 97106614-E72B-40C6-B207-839862242D55.jpeg
    97106614-E72B-40C6-B207-839862242D55.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 4,845
Good info, did you get rough COAL?

And, is it me, or are the velocities with the 215 a bit on the slower/conservative side? On the upper charge range it seems to run a little faster than ABM 300WM/215gr.

The ABM 300WM 215gr, clock within 5fps out of a CA Ridgeline.

Good info, did you get rough COAL?

And, is it me, or are the velocities with the 215 a bit on the slower/conservative side? On the upper charge range it seems to run a little faster than ABM 300WM/215gr.

The ABM 300WM 215gr, clock within 5fps out of a CA Ridgeline.

They gave the COAL to me but I didn't write them down. Was trying to write as much information as I could but didn't write all the information down.
This data Gave me a starting point in load development to work the loads up and compare other bullet load data for that round.

See below and call the number if anybody wants additional information:
Really nice people and quick to respond.

From Berger personal on return email:
We do have some preliminary data for the 300 PRC with those bullets and a couple powders you mentioned, but due to some protocols involving our unpublished data, we cannot send it electronically right now. We'd be glad to share some info with you over the phone at your convenience. We can be reached at 660-460-2802between the hours of 8:00am-4:30pm EST M-F. If you'd prefer we call you, please give us your phone number and a good time to call. Looking forward to helping you soon.

Technical Support
Capstone Precision Group, LLC

Last edited:
I'm still not sure about the real advantage of the 300prc over the 300wm. Seems as tho they are really close with the 215s. I admittedly haven't looked into the prc hardly at all so I'm just curious as to what the advantages are.

We'd be glad to share some info with you over the phone at your convenience.

If Capstone/Berger isn't willing to put this information in writing then they have not reached an agreement on a legally acceptable set of loads for this cartridge and bullet combination. Sure they want to help, they don't want to loose customers for all those expensive bullets, but they will not write it down (publish) so it can be held against them if something goes wrong. This is an indication that they have not reached the optimum loading range yet so you could be correct writing that the 300 WM data is close to that of the 300 PRC. It might not be later though...;)

There can be a couple of simple points with regard to advantages. The 300 PRC is a straight wall case without a belt. For those inclined to be 'belt haters' this is a sure positive.:rolleyes: Yet the 300 PRC also has an increase in case capacity using the dimensional increase for case capacity. (0.532" for the case head for the PRC as opposed to 0.532" for the belt and 0.512" for the case body for the WM) The case length and OAL loaded length is significantly different when you compare the SAAMI dimensions to the case capacity. Loaded with the same bullet (230 grain Berger) to SAAMI length we get:

77.2 grains of powder capacity for the 300 WM (3.340" OAL)
89.9 grains of powder capacity for the .300 PRC (3.700" OAL)

Increasing the WM OAL to 3.700" you get 83.9 grains, still less then the .300 PRC.

Loaded ammunition on the shelf though will go to the 300 WM simply due to longevity.

If Capstone/Berger isn't willing to put this information in writing then they have not reached an agreement on a legally acceptable set of loads for this cartridge and bullet combination. Sure they want to help, they don't want to loose customers for all those expensive bullets, but they will not write it down (publish) so it can be held against them if something goes wrong. This is an indication that they have not reached the optimum loading range yet so you could be correct writing that the 300 WM data is close to that of the 300 PRC. It might not be later though...;)

There can be a couple of simple points with regard to advantages. The 300 PRC is a straight wall case without a belt. For those inclined to be 'belt haters' this is a sure positive.:rolleyes: Yet the 300 PRC also has an increase in case capacity using the dimensional increase for case capacity. (0.532" for the case head for the PRC as opposed to 0.532" for the belt and 0.512" for the case body for the WM) The case length and OAL loaded length is significantly different when you compare the SAAMI dimensions to the case capacity. Loaded with the same bullet (230 grain Berger) to SAAMI length we get:

Increasing the WM OAL to 3.700" you get 83.9 grains, still less then the .300 PRC.

Loaded ammunition on the shelf though will go to the 300 WM simply due to longevity.

Nice comparison on case capacity. I understand the appeal for some.I guess I just like the ol' winmag. I don't think it'll ever go anywhere.

There are so many good belted magnum cartridges which have fine performance that I doubt we'll see them leave the shooting scene ever. The 7mm Rem Mag, the 300 Win Mag and the 338 Win mag are just plain old good cartridges. Besides, the Navy still uses the 300 Win Mag in their service, too.

Pretty sure you are correct on published powder companies. Just got emails from http://vihtavuori.fi/ personal on data. Have to call company. Was after the N565 and N570 load data for 180 though 215 bullet weight.
What I'm trying to do is gather as much information on powder for this cartridge while I await parts for the build I'm doing. I have found this to be a real long draw out time consuming process.
Anyway as I gather load data I will post.
My thought process was to start with the 300 win mag as far as middle load data for that cartridge and work up until pressure signs then back off a grain.

I'm pretty sure it was rfurman on here who did a case capacity test between the 300PRC and 300WM Norma brass and there was only 2 grains difference.

Pretty sure you are correct on published powder companies. Just got emails from http://vihtavuori.fi/ personal on data. Have to call company. Was after the N565 and N570 load data for 180 though 215 bullet weight.
What I'm trying to do is gather as much information on powder for this cartridge while I await parts for the build I'm doing. I have found this to be a real long draw out time consuming process.
My thought process was to start with the 300 win mag as far as middle load data for that cartridge and work up until pressure signs then back off a grain.
I just got my 300 prc Ruger precision and started loading some 180 Berger elite I had for my 308 load. i have loaded with some retumbo and cci 250 no pressure signs with the max load Hornady recommend for there 180 but I also have them seated at 3.64 col 2.92 from ogive which is exactly what hornadys factory 212 eldx rounds are.i have worked up a few more loads to run will let you on those.

Not 215 but I run Berger hybrid 230 with 78 gr. Of H1000 . CCI 200 primers gave me more consistent speeds

Did you ever get the load data from Vihtavuori?

Did you ever get the load data from Vihtavuori?
I did not get any information from them. at the time they were not in a position to release that data the best I remember. Anyway, Still working on my build.
I need to retouch with them and see if I can maybe get that data since the prc has been out for a while. If anybody out their has a quick load chart for n570 maybe they could help.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.