Berger 180 Hybrid ?

ol mike

Berger doesn't say these are not hunting bullets , of coarse Hornady doesn't say the A max is.

What's the low down on long range thin skinned [deer] -do they expand well enough ?

Did a search and found where people are hunting with them but not much detail.

Thanks -Mike

Everything we have shot with them out of 7 Rem Mags and 7mm-300 wins showed more expansion than the 180 Hunting Vld's. If you want long range expansion you should be fine. Probably better than any other choice there is.

Jeff

Broz ,

Thank you !

I remember your thread about the 7-300winmag -it came to mind when I saw the 195 elite.
Thinking I might build something along that line down the road -it would be a pretty good step above my 280AI.

I might load some 180gr Hybrids tonight.

I have used them for everything from mulies, whitetails, antelope, coyotes, and even prairie dogs with excellent results. They were my go to bullet for my 7 SAUM. I also have some LRABs that I didn't get a chance to shoot out of it before tearing it down for a rebarrel. I would also check out the new bullets from Hornady. They might be just as good as the hybrids, but a lot cheaper.

JARHEAD1371 ,

Yes I'll give the Hornady's a run down my barrel when they hit the shelves.

I shoot a 280AI it has very slightly less case volume than your SAUM -what powder/powders did you cartridge like with the 180's ?

I tried H1000, Retumbo, R17, and found H4831sc was by far the most accurate. I was using a 26" barrel and getting 3050 fps with a load that was over book max. There was only a very very slight ejector mark on the brass and no hard bolt lift. It was extremely accurate out to 1400 yds.

Shot a bull elk with the 180 Hybrid this year and it was fully expanded. Bullet was just under the hide on the opposite side. I would say it performed as expected.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.