Berger 156 EOL 6.5 fail?

Seems Berger's have serious problems with tips opening, especially at LR speeds. They usually tumble. I watched video of gunwerks killed elk at 900yds. They recovered bullet and it looked like a banana. They said that's how the Berger's usually work and that a tumbling bullet is very deadly??? However in videos the bullet often doesn't tumble until 10" mark or so and that's all most out of a deer size animal! So putting a pencil through one lung and if lucky you get a tumble in second lung...seems like people shouldn't WANT THAT? Look at this video...Tips even at high speed do not open often it just tears tip off and then bullet self-destructs, often showing signs of tumbling with the curved pieces. If it did that every time I guess it would be very deadly, but the times it doesn't is very often in many ballistic gel tests. And every body and there grandma is doing ballistic test now a days.

I have shot a lot of the berger bullets and have been very happy with the performance on game. I am not a long range hunter per say, I keep buying and building long range rigs because I want to have the ability to take the long shot if no other means of getting closer are available. My longest shot to date is 851 yards with 180 grain hybrid out of my LRM and it performed very well. I think if your going to take long range shots then you need to take the time to make sure your ammunition is in top shelf shape, meaning cleaning all of the tips and checking for deformation before pulling the trigger. A long range shot, IMO, is not a rushed shot, its a well planned out shot that you have taken the time to dot your i's and cross your t's. I think if you shoot enough you are bound to find a bad one. There will always be guys who don't like something that someone else loves. To each his own. If we didn't have a difference of opinion then this forum would be pretty darn boring. The Bergers have worked well for me and I will keep pushing them down the tube. I do really appreciate the video and the information that Barbour Creek provided, the more information you have the better!

I've watched many ballistic gel videos the last few weeks on Berger's. Here's what happens with these bullets...and its not consistent. One of 3 things happen. Bullets open at tip and mushroom losing a lot of weight often 40% like Berger says, this is awesome IMO. Often tip does not open and tip gets torn off and tumbles then bullet starts self-destruction but often many inches into target...not good. Then at 2100 and below often doesn't open at all or just barely tears jacket and tumbles often again many inches into target. One thing that ballistic gel shows is that the tip opening and mushrooming is rare. The tip getting crushed and torn off is the more normal way and fragmenting.

Last edited:
I have witnessed some spectacular kills with various Berger bullets and more than 80% have performed to perfection. others have opened up too fast or fragmented into tiny pieces before reaching vitals and a very small number did not open up at all. And most are extremely accurate. But with the availability of many premium bullets now on the market I have chosen not to use Berger bullets on game, although they have been extremely accurate in my rifles. Also, to minimize meat loss, I have narrowed my selection to those bullets that stay nearly 100% together or those designed to fragment into 4 or 5 pieces and for the most part penetrate both sides of the animal. One member of our elk hunting party uses Partitions and every year we lose 1/4 or more of the animals he shoots. Same with ballistic tips that other members use. Just my preference as I enjoy eating every single ounce of elk or venison that I can put in the freezer.
Interesting, are you saying 25% of the animals he shoots escape or that you lose 25% of the meat from the animals he kills?

Seems Berger's have serious problems with tips opening, especially at LR speeds. They usually tumble. I watched video of gunwerks killed elk at 900yds. They recovered bullet and it looked like a banana. They said that's how the Berger's usually work and that a tumbling bullet is very deadly??? However in videos the bullet often doesn't tumble until 10" mark or so and that's all most out of a deer size animal! So putting a pencil through one lung and if lucky you get a tumble in second lung...seems like people shouldn't WANT THAT? Look at this video...Tips even at high speed do not open often it just tears tip off and then bullet self-destructs, often showing signs of tumbling with the curved pieces. If it did that every time I guess it would be very deadly, but the times it doesn't is very often in many ballistic gel tests. And every body and there grandma is doing ballistic test now a days.

Sub 30-30 velocities and expecting some miraculous consistent expansion........priceless.

Couple things come to mind...

Right tool for the job.

Bigger hammer.

Sub 30-30 velocities and expecting some miraculous consistent expansion........priceless.

Couple things come to mind...

Right tool for the job.

Bigger hammer.
There are many bullets that perform much better than Berger's @ sub 30-30 velocities. ABLR is very consistent, Partitions, and even Hornady ELDm and x's they may lose a lot of weight but they perform very consistent with bullet opening and mushrooming within first 1.5'' to 2" so hitting 1st lung with lots of energy and even if it mushrooms to point of cup and core separation its dumped a lot of energy and damage by that time. Often the Berger's you are having to rely on a tumbling bullet to kill so a lot of the bullet path is a pencil hole until that tumble, is that at 5", 8" or out of animal?

Last edited:
I sure wish they would include the twist rates in their data. If we are talking about lower velocities and slower twists, the bullet may be close to tumbling through the air let a alone an animal.

... or does it just seem like its more, because of the number of people using them and those people being vocal on forums?

Perception colors this issue to the point where it's almost impossible to have a fact-based discussion about it.
Seriously?
Try the automotive industry,snowmobiling industry etc. There are known models were produced that were failures.

Let's not sugar coat this because we are invested or we are the ones that bought a 2011 Polaris or a particular "model".

Yes, more qtys sold are going to produce more opportunity for complaints. But generally patterns are produced and I like to weed bad ones out. Kinda like something the industry calls a recall.
Why wouldn't we want that?

Last edited:
But seriously, I've shot and witnessed hundreds of animals being shot with bergers from a 130 vld out of a 6.5 saum at 30 yards to 215's at 1000ish yards and everything in between.
I've only witnessed one exception to excellent performance. That was a 2020 WY antelope doe with a 156 out of my 6.5 PRC.
Hit her the first time at 592 and she ran off then stopped, thinking I missed, I shot again and no reaction from her.
Then she laid down and I shot her again, this time she flinched but head was still up so I hit her again.
Four shots total thinking maybe two hits…I get up there and start quartering and I find 4 entrance holes. Upon further inspection it seems the first two went straight through her without opening, much like a field point.
I started thinking maybe I forgot to check those tips (which I always do with a dental pick).
When I got home I took out the remainder of the rounds and about 1/3 of the tips were clogged including the next two I would have shot at animals.
I don't consider this a berger failure because I know better and I failed to check the tips.
Since then I've killed a few more animals with the 156 at 2915 muzzle velocity out of my 6.5 PRC including a bull elk at 885 last fall that died quickly after one shot which completely destroyed the heart and lungs.
So, if you are uncomfortable using them…don't. If you do use them please check the hollow point and kill effectively.
When checking the hollow point what specifically are you looking for?

Do you have picture to share maybe?

Seriously, 😂
Try the automotive industry,snowmobiling industry etc. there are know models that produce or were produced that were failures

Let's not sugar coat this because we are invested or bought a 2011 Polaris or a particular "model".

Yes more qtys sold are going to produce more opportunity for complaints. But generally patterns are produced and I like to weed bad ones out.
Why wouldn't we want that?

Ok, so I guess my decade and half of shooting bergers on big game with amazing success (100%, including the 156EOL) is just a figment of my imagination because some people on the internet say so.