Bergara Barrel Muzzle Brake Removable?

dkwellman

Does this brake look removable? Bergara barrel but not sure who or when it was installed. Caliber was changed from a 7mm-08 to a 280 AI

Thanks

Attachments

• Muzzle Brake.jpg
    Muzzle Brake.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 102
Looks threaded. Should come off with a little properly applied force. If you can stabilize your rifle in a vise, I wouldn't be afraid to apply force with a proper tool that will not damage your barrel.

Does this brake look removable? Bergara barrel but not sure who or when it was installed. Caliber was changed from a 7mm-08 to a 280 AI

Thanks

Quote: Don't care for a brake on a hunting rifle

As previously mentioned, it may have LocTite. Apply a bit of heat, with the barrel in a vice, insert a tool ( punch, screwdriver, ect.) through opposing holes in the brake, and turn to remove.

Once removed, throw the brake into your "scrap iron" bucket! 😂 I agree……hunting rifles are no place for a brake! 😉 memtb

It may be, but you will be able to find out. When/if you're uneasy about applying more force, ask a gunsmith. Looks like a quality rifle and I share your caution. Hopefully, somebody else on the forum will offer further advice. Keep us posted.
Thanks. Gunsmith will be my next move

Just looking at the picture, since it is not self timing, looks like somebody just grabbed a brake and added to the barrel. Those that are not self timed, they are usually blended with the barrel. You should be able to insert a punch into the holes and twist off. It should not be put on with that much force, my 28N has a brake and blended in to the barrel, first time I took it off, I used a screwdriver and just put enough force on it to start removing. The brake should have some anti seize grease on it, similar to what your barrel would have. They are made to remove for cleaning and any general work required. I would give it a try before I spent money at a Gunsmith to do what all has been suggested.

Just looking at the picture, since it is not self timing, looks like somebody just grabbed a brake and added to the barrel. Those that are not self timed, they are usually blended with the barrel. You should be able to insert a punch into the holes and twist off. It should not be put on with that much force, my 28N has a brake and blended in to the barrel, first time I took it off, I used a screwdriver and just put enough force on it to start removing. The brake should have some anti seize grease on it, similar to what your barrel would have. They are made to remove for cleaning and any general work required. I would give it a try before I spent money at a Gunsmith to do what all has been suggested.
Thanks for the info

What does the front of the brake look like
Savage uses radial brakes and they come off with a 55mm Torx wrench

Without looking at your rifle in person, I would say the previous owner had a Christensen Arms muzzle brake laying around and installed it on the Bergara. If you don't care about buggering it up, stick a punch through the exhaust ports and break it loose. You can even grab it with vice grips. Bergara sells muzzle brakes that are the correct OD so they match their barrels.
As far as brakes on hunting rifles, I do not use radial brakes on mine but almost all have a nice side port brake.

Last edited:
My CVA Scout has a Bergara barrel on it and it came with a radial brake, looks similar to the one the OP posted. It should be able to spin off possibly with a little heat if loctite was used. FYI Bergara uses metric threads.

1687535751609.png

dzj4B4o.jpg

1687535774442.png

HBBvP9F.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks
That doesn't look like a bergara muzzle brake. The factory ones are fixed if what a representative at EOS told me.