Bellet Selection For .264 Win Mag

halpin40

I have a couple different questions regarding a bullet selection for my .264 win mag:

1. Started loading 140gr berger vld's and shot 5 bullets of 5 different loads. Results were not all that great. Not sure if it was bullets or me but need to shoot again............ However, my question regarding the berger bullets is i heard berger changed their manufacturing process and the BC's are different from (lets say) the older bullets? Was wondering if any one has heard the same rumor.

2.) If this is true was thinking of moving to either Hornaday 140Gr SST or Nosler Accubond 140gr. Does any one have a recomendation or opinions about either direction.

Try the bergers again but read the sticky at the top of the reloading section of the forum that tells you how to find a load with the bergers.

what twist is your barrel? It should be faster than 9 Twist for the 140g VLD bullets I shoot 8.5 twist and 8 twist with the .264 140s

If you can't get the Bergers to shoot get you some Retumbo and some 130 Nosler Accubonds. My 264 Win mag loves them.

Re: Bullet Selection For .264 Win Mag

I have a remington CDL with a 9 in twist. I beleive i can get the bergers to shoot but I heard that little rumor that they changed a step in the mfg process and the vld hunting bullets b.c's are differnt now and they did not shoot as well (or the same as). Don't know if it is true?

I think my next step is going to be to load 5 bullet in 5 different retumbo loads with both the berger bullets and the hornaday sst's and which ever gives the the best....well ill use that.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Ill be sure to check the sticky at the top!

My Sendero likes 120 grain ballistic tips and 67 plus grains of RE 25. Work up. you might even like a little more powder but do so safely. Safety first. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts