Beginner -300 Win Mag

bhol

So I'm looking to begin reloading for my 300 win mag. This will be my first time reloading for anything and was wondering what all basic equipment I would need, besides a press. What dies, etc. Also, what would a good starter load be? I'm looking at the heavier bullets as well 190+ grains. Thanks

So I'm looking to begin reloading for my 300 win mag. This will be my first time reloading for anything and was wondering what all basic equipment I would need, besides a press. What dies, etc. Also, what would a good starter load be? I'm looking at the heavier bullets as well 190+ grains. Thanks
As boring as this sounds you should start with a book. Loading manuals. Many of them will give you a good intro to reloading and also clue you in a bit to what your gonna need. Couple that come to mind are Lymans 49th and The ABC''s of reloading. Spend a few evenings going through one of these will answer a lot of questions.

Yes I will be definitely be picking up a few reloading manuals. Didn't know what all gear besides press and dies I would need.

24" barrel / 1/9.5 twist

I would get a Hornady Lock N Load reloading kit. It even comes with a manual!. Plus a few other tools for more advanced reloading, like and overall length gauge. It is an aluminum press, but a very good one. And there is nothing better than the Hornady die bushings for quickly changing dies.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007LV2LO4/?tag=lrhmag19-20

People will tell you that you have to have a RCBS cast iron press, but that is just not true, the Hornady will load ammo just as accurately. I load up to 300 RUM on mine with .001/.002 runout, no problem.

For dies, I like Redding. Spend good money on dies and get some that allow you to size the case and neck separately. Preferably bushing dies that will allow you to set neck tension so you don't over work your brass.

You don't need two dies to resize the case neck and body separately. One full length sizing die is best as they keep the case neck and body aligned on the same axis when the case diameters are reduced back down a little.

Either Redding or RCBS full length bushing dies; are both excellent. Order neck bushings that are about .002" smaller in diameter than that of a loaded round. A good micrometer or caliper can measure a loaded round's neck diameter.

I think Sierra Bullets' manual is among (and may well be) the best. I suggest you use 63 to 64 grains of IMR4350 as a starter with 190 or 200 grain bullets.

Like Bart said

IMR 4350 @ 72.0
180 Nosler Partition
CCI 250 primers
WW cases

Very good load for 35 years in my 300 Win Mag

As boring as this sounds you should start with a book. Loading manuals. Many of them will give you a good intro to reloading and also clue you in a bit to what your gonna need. Couple that come to mind are Lymans 49th and The ABC''s of reloading. Spend a few evenings going through one of these will answer a lot of questions.

+1! The RCBS reloading DVD is also very helpful.

There are also overwhelming info on you tube.

Start with the fundamentals of safe reloading and enjoy the learning process.

I would get a Hornady Lock N Load reloading kit. It even comes with a manual!. Plus a few other tools for more advanced reloading, like and overall length gauge. It is an aluminum press, but a very good one. And there is nothing better than the Hornady die bushings for quickly changing dies.

Amazon.com : Hornady Lock N Load Classic Deluxe Reloading Kit : Gun Magazine Loaders : Sports & Outdoors

People will tell you that you have to have a RCBS cast iron press, but that is just not true, the Hornady will load ammo just as accurately. I load up to 300 RUM on mine with .001/.002 runout, no problem.

For dies, I like Redding. Spend good money on dies and get some that allow you to size the case and neck separately. Preferably bushing dies that will allow you to set neck tension so you don't over work your brass.
I have a Lock n Load press. It work great I use it for all of my AR and pistol loading. The tenscil strength of that alluminum is more than the cast iron presses.
I gave mine a good cleaning with gun blast and a air hose, then a good lube was used along with some moly paste and now it feels as smooth as my CO-AX....
To the OP, get a good manual and check out GunWerks YouTube videoed, especially the one where he shows you how to check for pressure....
A mentor would be helpful...

Solid advice on reading up and looking for a mentor if possible. Reloading has been a journey for me transitioning from basic hunting ammunition toward a desire to load precision ammunition for my 300 WM. As was mentioned previously, getting the basics of safe loading down should be a primary objective.

I have a Hornady lock and load and use it for AR and pistol loading. When I am pushing the max limits for center fire rifle loads, I use a single stage press and either weigh the charges or use electronic trickle weighing.

One or my early mistakes in reloading was to believe the reloading manuals as to what constitutes a maximum load. Start low and work up is a tenent worth adopting.

IMO, a runout gauge and access to a chronograph are both good quality control tools to help as you progress in reloading experience. I reloaded hunting ammo for years without either tool but my abilities progressed more quickly after picking up these tools in addition to the basics.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.