300 WM (Beginner)

PapaWheelie

Okay, during COVID I purchased a Bergara B14 HMR wilderness in 300 WM. I also got my hands on CCI primers, I have shot brass, 200 gr ELDx bullets, and H4831 and 4000-MR powder. I am completely green to reloading and don't have anyone local to teach me in person.

I've cleaned, resized, and am ready for establishing seating depth. Does anyone have any load work ups using this powder-bullet combination? Ive used the sharpie method and found out the bullet is hitting the lands at a COL of 3.54… does this sound outlandish and where do I go from there? Thanks in advance!

It doesn't sound unreasonable, but (based on you saying you're new) do you need the rounds to feed from the mag? If you you need to get them short enough to fit, that may or may not be anywhere near where you measured to which is fine.

H4831 might compress (Nosler lists it at 91% case fill at 70.5gn, Hodgdon says it's compressed at 71.0gn), if it does make sure you aren't jamming the bullet into the lands for your first ladder.

Attachments

• Understanding Pressure.pdf
    2.1 MB · Views: 77
I just worked up this combination a couple of weeks ago, because I am running out of H1000 and Bergers and have plenty of H4831SC and 200 ELDX's. 600 yard ladder from 68 to 72.5 grains of H4831SC and the 200 ELDX, worked up in half grain increments. No pressure signs at the top but the node was just under that in my rifle. Did seating depth testing and 20 thousandths off the lands shot a three shot group under a half MOA. I called it good, but still need to verify at distance. I havent chronoed it yet, but based on the drops it should be right at 2900FPS. Rifle is a new Browning XBolt LR Stalker. My COL was about what yours is and H1000 was too heavily compressed. The magazine is limited to about 3.6 inches in this rifle, so this gives me a little wiggle room.