bedding

does hs precision stocks need to be glass bedded?

I think so. Every action, barrel, magazine, bottom metal is a little bit different. Maybe just a few thous here and there. As I'm sure each stock from the factory varies by a few thous here and a few there. But for the best accuracy the rifle can deliver, the stock needs to be fitted to the gun metal. And bedded to fill all tiny voids. When done properly, then there is no stress induced by small variances in the torque applied to the action screws. My 2 cents.

-- gr8whyt

I think so. Every action, barrel, magazine, bottom metal is a little bit different. Maybe just a few thous here and there. As I'm sure each stock from the factory varies by a few thous here and a few there. But for the best accuracy the rifle can deliver, the stock needs to be fitted to the gun metal. And bedded to fill all tiny voids. When done properly, then there is no stress induced by small variances in the torque applied to the action screws. My 2 cents.

-- gr8whyt

+1 on that!

that's kinda like asking which is faster, ared car or a blue one. It depends from stock to stock, but if you've spent the money for the new stock already put the bbbl action in it and shoot it, if it's great shooter all is good. if not take it apart and bed it.

that's kinda like asking which is faster, ared car or a blue one. It depends from stock to stock, but if you've spent the money for the new stock already put the bbbl action in it and shoot it, if it's great shooter all is good. if not take it apart and bed it.

That is the tactic I use. I rarely skim bed them though. If I figure out the tang is high I will scrape them down a little. If I figure out the tang is low I will dab bed the tang.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.