Bedding

This also. Thin barreled rifles, magnums especially, are not going to hold groups over multiple shots. If you can consistently put the first 2 shots in 1" or less thats probably good enough unless you are shooting serious long range.
Mine is strictly a hunter. I don't remember the last time I needed more than two shots on a hunt.

I've heard horror stories about removing pressure points on some factory stocks.
Doesnt seem to be manufacturer specific.
Thin factory barrels and factory stocks with pressure points, specifically.
I have also. But I've also seen where some wby rifles shot better/ some didn't. It had nothing to loose so I took it out. I think it did help some. But still leaves a lot to be desired

Mines a hunter. ( I actually would have sold this dang thing if it wasn't sentimental). I completely agree with that statement. It's just hard to not try to make it somewhat better if possible lol
Every other rifle in the rack has been modified. New barrel, new trigger, new stocks or bedded or all the above. I want one rifle or pistol that I don't screw with. I have been waiting for years to do that with a pickup too. Maybe someday.

Last edited:
I have a Vanguard II in .338 Win Mag. It always shoots the first two shots touching ( not always, but most of the time), and the following shots would scatter over a couple inches. I did not not modify anything on the rifle. I decided that it was good to hunt with but not play for longer sessions at the range. Then a couple weeks ago it was about 20 degrees when I shot a five shot group that was just under 3/4 inch. The barrel cooled pretty quick at that temperature. I am going to leave it alone.
I'm starting to think this hammer forged barrel doesn't like heat at all.

Every other rifle in the rack has been modified. New barrel, new trigger, new stocks or bedded or all the above. I want one rifle or pistol that I screw with. I have been waiting for years to do that with a pickup too. Maybe someday.
Same. There's just something about tinkering on stuff. Stay away from the trucks. Gun tinkering is cheaper ol red! 😂

I Made a Living, Glass Bedding "Pencil Barreled", Weatherby's, Mausers and Rem 700's, from, the early 1970's thru, 1992 at, $180 to $200, a Pop.
I would make, a Pyramid in the barrel Channel with a triangular bit, Dremel tool ( Room for, lots of Glass ), Drill a Few angled Holes, fill with, Brownell's AcraGlass and use, a Few Pounds of "UP-ward Thrust, Shims" on the underside of, barrel ( yup, a Big, consistent, "Pressure Point" ).
Guys Hunted, all over the Globe with NO, POI "Shifting",.. good Group's, in the Day, was about, 1 MOA.
Nowaday's, I bed action, Lug, Tang and about, 1.5 Inches of the Bbl's "Shank portion" then, free float.
But we HAVE, better Quality Barrels, today !
I have used the Former Method of, bedding, on a Rem 700 and, a Wby .338 Win Mag Custom with, a Douglas Barrel and that "Method", still "Works",.. as getting SUB, 1/2 MOA with, "Tuned" Loads.

Last edited:
I have 2 MKV in 300WBY built almost 60 years apart, set up for 180 grn. One with TSX one with AB. The old one shoots .5" @100 yards, the newer one shoots 0.4" a@ 200 yards. But I am around 3,000 fps.
I have heard of some WBY with pressure points and if removed, they don't shoot, None of mine, have a pressure point. But, they are no Vanguard.
I don't think bedding would hurt, but perhaps you can try slowing it down. Also, those to MKV like IMR 4350 and IMR7828. I have two others I set up for 200grn, those are with RL22.

I Made a Living, Glass Bedding "Pencil Barreled", Weatherby's, Mausers and Rem 700's, from, the 1970's thru 1992 at, $180 to $200, a Pop.
I would make, a Pyramid in the barrel Channel with a triangular bit, Dremel tool ( Room for, lots of Glass ), Drill a Few angled Holes, fill with, Brownell's AcraGlass and use, a Few Pounds of "UP-ward Thrust" on the underside of, barrel ( yup, a Big, consistent, "Pressure Point" ).
Guys Hunted, all over the Globe with NO, POI "Shifting",.. good Group's, in the Day, was about, 1 MOA.
Nowaday's, I bed action, Lug, Tang and about, 1.5 Inches of the Bbl's "Shank portion" then, free float.
But we HAVE, Better Quality Barrels, Today !
I've heard of guys back in the day bedding rifles like that! But I wouldn't consider a wby barrel a good quality anything lol.

I have 2 MKV in 300WBY built almost 60 years apart, set up for 180 grn. One with TSX one with AB. The old one shoots .5" @100 yards, the newer one shoots 0.4" a@ 200 yards. But I am around 3,000 fps.
I have heard of some WBY with pressure points and if removed, they don't shoot, None of mine, have a pressure point. But, they are no Vanguard.
I don't think bedding would hurt, but perhaps you can try slowing it down. Also, those to MKV like IMR 4350 and IMR7828. I have two others I set up for 200grn, those are with RL22.
I have tried slowing it down some. But It actually got worse. I'm hoping the smith can bed it and bring it around some. But I'm leaning towards heat and a hammer forged barrel not getting along. Being the magnum that they are it only takes a few shots to get it warm and unhappy Evidently

I have tried slowing it down some. But It actually got worse. I'm hoping the smith can bed it and bring it around some. But I'm leaning towards heat and a hammer forged barrel not getting along. Being the magnum that they are it only takes a few shots to get it warm and unhappy Evidently
MY 1959 W. German and my 1994 Japanese are both pencil barrels. They both do 5 shot groups, the first with 180AB and IMR4350 and the other with 200AB or PT with RL22. I have also heard of some rifles to never be able to tune. I have just been lucky, Both of those were bought used.

I've heard of guys back in the day bedding rifles like that! But I wouldn't consider a wby barrel a good quality anything lol.
I've HAD, 3 Mk-V German Wby's ( 2 in .270 Wby, & 1 in 7 mm wby Mag ) and you are, RIGHT,. usually were, "Crap" Barrels and had, TOO MUCH FreeBore !
I was "lucky" to get 1 MOA out of, them, even after,.. Bedding !
Sold, the 7 Wby, Built one of the .270's into, a "Clover Leafing" .338 Win Mag ( With, a Douglas Premium, 25.5" Barrel ).
Burned Out, the First .270 Barrel @ 850 rds aprox.,.. then replaced it with, the "Take Off" barrel !
Eventually Sold, Both Weatherby's after using them for, 20 Years on, Deer, Elk and Antelope.
I usually only Buy, and Modify,.. Tikka's,. NOW !

Last edited:
MY 1959 W. German and my 1994 Japanese are both pencil barrels. They both do 5 shot groups, the first with 180AB and IMR4350 and the other with 200AB or PT with RL22. I have also heard of some rifles to never be able to tune. I have just been lucky, Both of those were bought used.
I've heard they can be a pain to tune. Maybe you have been lucky, cause I'm pulling what little hair I have left, out over this thing. This one hasn't had over 300 rounds down it total. This one will do a 5 shot group. But you almost need the side of a barn to hang the target on 😂.