Bedding

bfarms

I have a 300wby vanguard I've inherited from my grandfather. ( it's more sentimental than anything). I'm not a wby fan at all.
He bought it new and fired maybe a box through it over the years. Well to make a long story short. It shoots like crap lol. Had 3 scopes on it, checked action screws and bases. Everything tight. Might do a clover leaf group at 100 and the next few go 3 inches high, to inches right etc. lol. I'm thinking it needs pillars and a bed job. All of my rifles have been bedded before I ever shot them. Would a bed job bring it around or should I be looking deeper? ( I have bore scoped it, from what I can tell the barrel isn't the cause). This thing has me pulling my hair out. The best load I have currently is 185 bergers and 92.5gr retumbo. 3220-3228 according to my chrono. I've tried h1000 and several others. Adjusted seat depth and Same deal. This load by far shot the best when it decides to shoot lol. I figure some of you guys know more about this issue than me.

I think it's a good place to start and also check that the barrel is free floating, any touching of the stock is a no no
Thank you. I should have stated. I did free float it also. I think wby has some stupid pressure point in the stock for some reason, I've heard for accuracy. But it's gone lol.

As with every question asked here about improving accuracy, we're handicapped by not being able to actually hold your rifle and being able to examine and measure all the variables which can contribute to accuracy or lack thereof. The members usually will create a laundry list of all the potential drawbacks and DIY fixes without knowing what the real problem is. Everyone is just guessing. Take this to a real gunsmith who knows about such things and have him find the problem(s).

This is from an assessment in an advertising blurb by Weatherby regarding the older, original rifles by Howa:

A hammer forged barrel brought both accuracy and longevity not typically seen in mass-produced cut-rifled barrels of the day.

First and foremost, hammer forged barrels are known to move around quite a bit as they warm up due to the inherent stresses built into the barrel by this manufacturing process. Note your discussion about targets.

Best of luck with your project.

:)

As with every question asked here about improving accuracy, we're handicapped by not being able to actually hold your rifle and being able to examine and measure all the variables which can contribute to accuracy or lack thereof. The members usually will create a laundry list of all the potential drawbacks and DIY fixes without knowing what the real problem is. Everyone is just guessing. Take this to a real gunsmith who knows about such things and have him find the problem(s).

This is from an assessment in an advertising blurb by Weatherby regarding the older, original rifles by Howa:

First and foremost, hammer forged barrels are known to move around quite a bit as they warm up due to the inherent stresses built into the barrel by this manufacturing process. Note your discussion about targets.

Best of luck with your project.

:)
Just dropped it off to the smith. We will see what he says. I know this gun will never be a comp shooter. But it's gotta get better than this.

Thank you. I should have stated. I did free float it also. I think wby has some stupid pressure point in the stock for some reason, I've heard for accuracy. But it's gone lol.

I had a well-known gunsmith bed and free float my Wby Mark V. The gun never shot to specs. I sent it back to Weatherby for their review. They told me that free-floating the barrel was not thier direction to accuracy. If that wasn't bad enough, they said the modified stock could not be fixed and that a new stock was needed. The price of a new Weatherby stock was prohibitive, but I did it. The gun was returned with a new stock and pressure points. It shot well.

Just an interesting point.

I have a Vanguard II in .338 Win Mag. It always shoots the first two shots touching ( not always, but most of the time), and the following shots would scatter over a couple inches. I did not not modify anything on the rifle. I decided that it was good to hunt with but not play for longer sessions at the range. Then a couple weeks ago it was about 20 degrees when I shot a five shot group that was just under 3/4 inch. The barrel cooled pretty quick at that temperature. I am going to leave it alone.

I have a Vanguard II in .338 Win Mag. It always shoots the first two shots touching ( not always, but most of the time), and the following shots would scatter over a couple inches. I did not not modify anything on the rifle. I decided that it was good to hunt with but not play for longer sessions at the range. Then a couple weeks ago it was about 20 degrees when I shot a five shot group that was just under 3/4 inch. The barrel cooled pretty quick at that temperature. I am going to leave it alone.
This also. Thin barreled rifles, magnums especially, are not going to hold groups over multiple shots. If you can consistently put the first 2 shots in 1" or less thats probably good enough unless you are shooting serious long range.