Bedding

I've HAD, 3 Mk-V German Wby's ( 2 in .270 Wby, & 1 in 7 mm wby Mag ) and you are, RIGHT,. "Crap" Barrels and TOO MUCH FreeBore and, I was "lucky" to get 1 MOA out of, them, even after,.. Bedding !
Sold, the 7 Wby, Built one of the .270's into, a "Clover Leafing" .338 Win Mag ( With, a Douglas Premium 25.5" Barrel ).
Burned Out the First .270 Barrel @ 850 rds aprox.,.. then replaced it with, the "Take Off" !
Eventually Sold, Both Weatherby's after using them for, 20 Years on, Deer, Elk and Antelope.
I usually only Buy, and Modify, a tiny Bit,.. Tikka's,. NOW !
After having a few built I have a hard time buying any factory rifle. I like tinkering but dang this thing is aggravating. This thing woulda hit the road a while ago if it wasn't sentimental

I've heard they can be a pain to tune. Maybe you have been lucky, cause I'm pulling what little hair I have left, out over this thing. This one hasn't had over 300 rounds down it total. This one will do a 5 shot group. But you almost need the side of a barn to hang the target on 😂.
Might be time for a new barrel. Or maybe before that, as a last resort, see if you can tune it with the help of GRT and the OBT estimate they calculate.

Back in "The Day" ( PRE-Range Finders ), a 400 yard shot was,.. a LONG ONE !
We "Hunted" in those Days 250 yds or, less usually and LR Shooting, was practically,.. UN-Known.
A One to 2 MOA Rifle was,.. "Acceptable" and only, a few guys, Hand loaded and shot, Much !
After Crippling, a Big Deer, in southern Idaho in 1976, I Quit trying for,.. ANY,.. 500 yard shots.
YES, I was Young, dumb and Very Proud of, my Flat shooting,.. .270 Wby !
I Found him, later in the Day and put another one, in him at, 200 yds.
Bullet "Drop" WAS, a Big issue, back THEN !

Last edited:
Back in "The Day" PRE-Range Finder, a 400 yard shot was, a LONG ONE !
We "Hunted" in those Days and LR Shooting, was practically, UN-Known.
One to 2 MOA was,.. "Acceptable" and only a few guys, Hand loaded
If you hunt around some of my farms it sounds like ww3 opening morning of deer season. Heck I think these hunters around me would be happy with a 4 moa rifle. It's nothing to hear the same guy shoot 5 times…. Some guys from Ohio bought a 30 acre patch of woods from a neighbor. They might be able to shoot 150 yards max, and still have to unload at a deer lol

In 1983 I went on, a Horse Back, Pack in, "semi-guided, Drop Camp" Hunt, north of Durango Co. and it sounded Like WW 3, on the opening morning of, Elk season.
I thought EVERYONE, in all the Canyons, near me, had, an Elk,.. LOL !

Last edited:
I have a 300wby vanguard I've inherited from my grandfather. ( it's more sentimental than anything). I'm not a wby fan at all.
He bought it new and fired maybe a box through it over the years. Well to make a long story short. It shoots like crap lol. Had 3 scopes on it, checked action screws and bases. Everything tight. Might do a clover leaf group at 100 and the next few go 3 inches high, to inches right etc. lol. I'm thinking it needs pillars and a bed job. All of my rifles have been bedded before I ever shot them. Would a bed job bring it around or should I be looking deeper? ( I have bore scoped it, from what I can tell the barrel isn't the cause). This thing has me pulling my hair out. The best load I have currently is 185 bergers and 92.5gr retumbo. 3220-3228 according to my chrono. I've tried h1000 and several others. Adjusted seat depth and Same deal. This load by far shot the best when it decides to shoot lol. I figure some of you guys know more about this issue than me.
IF, Your Rifle "can" do, a "Clover Leaf" once in a while, chances are that, a GOOD Bed Job with, the Up-ward thrust, Barrel pressure, "Could" help it, shoot Good,.. consistently. Worst case, your gunsmith Routes Out, the Barrel channel, "Glass",. if,.. a no-go !
Good luck !!

Last edited:
I had a well-known gunsmith bed and free float my Wby Mark V. The gun never shot to specs. I sent it back to Weatherby for their review. They told me that free-floating the barrel was not thier direction to accuracy. If that wasn't bad enough, they said the modified stock could not be fixed and that a new stock was needed. The price of a new Weatherby stock was prohibitive, but I did it. The gun was returned with a new stock and pressure points. It shot well.

Just an interesting point.
@ bfarms,..
Read THIS,. ^^^ Hence WHY, I used to Bed them with, a few pounds of, Up-ward, Barrel Thrust and fully encased, in Glass compound,.. to Stiffen barrel and make it,.. pretty much, un-moveable for, 3 Shot Group's !
Ask your G-S if,.. he agree's !

Last edited:
@ bfarms,..
Read THIS,. ^^^ Hence WHY, I used to Bed them with, a few pounds of, Up-ward, Barrel Thrust and fully encased in Glass compound,.. to Stiffen barrel and make it,.. un-movable for, 3 Shot Group's !
I learned this from tinkering 30 years ago. M77s, WBY, a few others had pressure points for a reason.
Bedded them back the same way, full length and used credit card scraps to build the pad back up.

@ bfarms,..
Read THIS,. ^^^ Hence WHY, I used to Bed them with, a few pounds of, Up-ward, Barrel Thrust and fully encased in Glass compound,.. to Stiffen barrel and make it,.. pretty much, un-moveable for, 3 Shot Group's !
Ask your G-S if,.. he agree's !
I did. But it shot a little worse with the upward pressure. If no change when it comes back we will put some more on it and try again.

I've heard horror stories about removing pressure points on some factory stocks.
Doesnt seem to be manufacturer specific.
Thin factory barrels and factory stocks with pressure points, specifically.

+1

If you have free-floated the barrel, give it a good free-float, as those barrels whip a lot. You do not want the barrel slapping the stock under recoil while the bullet is still in the barrel.

After bedding, I would take a couple of old soft credit cards and put them crossways in the barrel channel. I have cut up Clorox bottles or similar to do the same thing as they are more supple. 1,2,3, or 4 layers of a Clorox Plastic bottle, you can play with the tension. Business cards get soft from moisture.

Shoot the gun with and without the pressure point. Keep the copper out of the barrel!

Every 300 Weatherby I have owned was a great shooter with factory ammo, reckon I got lucky.

Best wishes

Recent Posts