Bedding

Mines a hunter. ( I actually would have sold this dang thing if it wasn't sentimental). I completely agree with that statement. It's just hard to not try to make it somewhat better if possible lol
Sometimes you just need to accept it for what it is. You could throw a bunch of money at this thing if you want. But if it's good enough to get the job done at reasonable range then just take it for what it is.

My grandpa had a weatherby mk v that he decided to bed. Accuracy went to hell in a handbasket the moment he did it. He messed with it over and over and finally called weatherby (this was 25+ years ago). The weatherby tech said that most of their rifles at the time have a pressure point that is necessary, and removing it will destroy accuracy. The weatherby tech suggested picking a spot 2/3 of the way up the stock (measuring from the action forward) and taking a stack of sticky shipping labels, and stacking them up until they come into contact with the barrel. Then go shoot a group and see if the it has tightened in. If not, let it cool, put in another label, shoot again. Do that until groups tighten up. Then use that height as a guide to build up a pressure point with acraglas, and tear out the labels when you're done. My gramps followed those directions and it worked like a charm.

Last edited: