Bedding using only action,barrel weight

rsbhunter

Ok, I'm not a gunsmith, but do have fun doing minor improvements to firearms...I have rebarreled Savage's, bedded Rem. 700's, Savages, etc. I got a super deal on a Savage 12 LRVP used and have rebarreled the action to 6mm Norma Dasher. The stock is the HS with the aluminum bedding block. The recoil lug is not bedded, and the action can slide a bit (3/32") back and forward. Thinking about skim bedding the action, and full bedding the recoil lug. Is there any reason not to, or am I wasting time and Devcon doing this. I do make sure the action/recoil lug is seated against the bedding block when I assemble the rifle, but the bedding would remove any movement. The guy's here have a lot of knowledge, so I ask....rsbhunter

You should always bed it if you are looking for great accuracy. I like to use Brownell's accra release, release agent after I de grease the action with brake cleaner or starting fluid.

I've used kiwi shoe polish with great success. I was wondering if , being a 3 screw action, I bed using only the screw in the front of the trigger guard, and the rifle in the horizontal (shooting) position, would the weight of the action and m24 profile 26" barrel apply enough down force on the bedding material to properly bed ? Or should I tape/ screw the action barrel into the stock ? Thanks for any and all help and suggestions...rsbhunter

You'll get a bunch of answers, and most work, so choose one and go with it :)
I use Johnson's paste wax as a release.
I tape the bottom and sides of the recoil lug with electrical tape then squish it all together by using the rear action screw and wrap the barrel/stock in front of the recoil lug with electrical tape. Acts like a bungy cord. Lots of ways to do it and mine shoot as do others

Mram10us, that is the way I normally do it. Don't know why I figured this would be different, but I knew asking here would give me the best advice. I will get started on it today...what is the consensus on skim bedding the aluminum block. ?...rsbhunter

I've gone different routes with using both action screws dipped in wax for release and lightly torqued down to only the rear with flexible tape over the barrel. Haven't had it bend the barrel yet :)
What is your question about skim bedding the block? You mean consensus on filling it vs leaving it alone?

rsb, The Savage is reportedly not to be bedded in the tang area. Bedding the Savages is more difficult due to the bedding areas not being symmetrical. I've been using the stretchy rubber strap used around the arm when having blood drawn to hold down the action. The weight of the barrel may tip the whole unit foreward. Perhaps wrapping masking tape layers around the barrel near the end of the stock as a spacer would work. Make sure the action is vertically in line with the stock, often overlooked. Good luck

Good advice , all of it. I know not to bed the tang, but the reminder was good. I would only bed to in front(1/8") of the rear action screw. Yes, I was asking about skim bedding vs no bed on action, and only bed recoil lug...sorry, I should have clarified that in the op....rsbhunter

Dosh has a good point about tape to center barrel. I use electrical tape, but it doesn't matter as long as it creates just a bit of space and centers it

I did a full length bed job on my savage 26 nosler build. I'm no savage expert though. Read about how you shouldn't bed the tang area, but after removing everything from the action I decide it made more sense to me to do it all. Worked for me. I can post pics later if it helps. Again, no savage expert. I'll even post some 300 yard targets with off the shelf ammo to show results of full bedding on accuracy

I've always been curious about the not bedding the tang....I figured it was because of the safety area.....but being a tube receiver, it is confusing....unless the action flex's or???? Any way , I plan on putting about a 1/64" or less if possible layer on the block, and fill the recoil lug area almost full...I'll clean out the bbl nut area after(but still put one layer of elec tape around the nut) just to be sure. I will put tape around the mid point of bbl to center it..would like to see pics....rsbhunter

I'll try and get pics tomorrow. Action shouldn't flex if ya full length bed it. It didn't make sense to me so I tried it.

Good to know it can be FL bedded...world would still be flat if someone hadn't got in a boat and chanced going over the edge !!!!!!

Good to know it can be FL bedded...world would still be flat if someone hadn't got in a boat and chanced going over the edge !!!!!!
I just get tired of internet "have tos" . If it makes logical sense, ok. But a lot guys read something and regurgitate than it takes off like wildfire. I don't comment on things I haven't had experience with and tested.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.