Action/Barrel Bedding?

I've used the wheeler engineering bedding kit with quite a bit of success. It's convenient because it comes with release agent, Clay, dye, and microballoons but only costs 30 bucks on Amazon. Order today and you can probably get it by Xmas. I have a tendency to have lots of calender time between projects so fresh chemicals are often required.

Have you used or know of anyone's experience with score high bedding compound?
I've used Devon with good luck, never used marine Tex but thought I'd give it a test.
On another note, I've not used Brownells, any comments?

Have you used or know of anyone's experience with score high bedding compound?
I've used Devon with good luck, never used marine Tex but thought I'd give it a test.
On another note, I've not used Brownells, any comments?
Like you, I've only used devcon products and marinetex.

I was told by a great Smith to only bed the action and lug. Anything forward of that will walk with multiple shots if bedded due to heat expansion. Makes since to me.

I was told by a great Smith to only bed the action and lug. Anything forward of that will walk with multiple shots if bedded due to heat expansion. Makes since to me.
I have bedded many rifles (mainly the 300rum and edge) 1/2" ahead of the recoil lug for extra support and haven't seen stringing issues. Barrels were light palma and rem varmint countours.
I would enjoy seeing someone doing a test:
10 rounds shot with Bedding 1" ahead of the recoil lug with set action screw torque
Then mill out the bedding in front of the recoil lug
10 rounds shot with no bedding in front of recoil lug
If he does br or switch barrel, then I see his reasoning.

I actually have a 7-08 ai I need to toy with. I'll try it out and post results

I just did one with JB weld..neutral shoe polish...Exacto knife..Nail polish remover.
Did up to the lug and about 1/2 inch past it. I'm tickled to death with how it ended up!
Imagine how happy you'd be if you didn't bed in front of the lug :)

And I bedded a full length scope rail on the same rifle! I want to give Jerry from JE Customs a big Thank You! He told me just how to do everything and it was perfect!
In fact he was so cool I'm getting a whole new rifle from him!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.