bedding a synthetic stock.

gohring3006

I'm done shooting for a while (it pretty hot outside) so I'm thinking about glass bedding my TC Venture it already pillar bedded, which brings up a question if its pillar bedded is it beneficial to glass bed if so is there a particular bedding compound and technique for synthetic stocks? Also there is some over molded plastic over the pillars should this be removed? Should I use my action screws or rubber bands to hold the action in place while curing?
Thanks Bill Gohring...

I wouldn't do anything to it if it's already pillar bedded unless it will not pass the stress free test. Then I would remount the pillars and bed the whole thing in one shot. When doing it that way the screws are snugged up just to hold the pillars to the action. The assembly then floats in the epoxy until it's all set up. Rubber bands on ends only.

The closer to zero movement the better. Here is a good read on it.

N0. 5. Aluminum Pillar Bedding for a more accurate rifle.

How to check your work!
(or anyone else's for that matter)

Picture #25
0055.jpg

Now, with the barrel pointing straight up, and both trigger guard screws tightened to 30 to 35 in. lbs., zero the indicator while it is set up as shown in picture #25. Next loosen the front guard screw, and check the indicator, how many thousandth's did it move? Make a note of this new reading, and re-tighten the front guard screw, repeat this sequence a few times or, until you are comfortable that you have an accurate reading. Now repeat this process with the rear guard screw. I have seen many rifles where the indicator moves from .025" to .100", and a few even more.

After following these "Two Step" bedding instructions,The most common numbers that I see, and numbers that I believe represent a good job, are .001 to .002 on the front screw, and from .000 to .001 on the rear screw.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.