Bedding a stock question

Firearrow

I will politely start this with I already did many searches and have not been able to find the answers to a few questions.

I am planning on ordering a McNillan A3 with pillars installed and this will be my first go at bedding. I understand the concept of bedding the action, but have a few questions. If what I have bouncing around in my head is right, once I get the stock I will need to make minor relief cuts, a dremil is what I have, around the entire area where the action will be, and using clay for a **** in front of the lug area. This is where my questions start.

1. The relief cuts will be from in front of the lug area, lug area, and back to the tang, but leave the very back of the tang alone because this will be the high point?
2. There should also be relief cuts made around the pillar area so that the action and the top of the pillars touch but are surrounded buy bedding.
3. How do I set the height of the **** of clay that sits in front of the lug area so that my barrel is free floated, but my action and front pillar still make contact.
4 How much or a relief cut am I looking to make?

I know I am asking "trade secrets", but I like doing my own work.

Action make would help. #3. Place some clay where you want the dam, release agent "Kiwi works for me" on the barrel. Press action down to pillars which should squish clay to correct height. Remove barrel slowly and trim clay with Xacto knife. Not the slickest way, but works for me. Good luck

Last edited:
Action make would help. #3. Place some clay where you want the dam, release agent "Kiwi works for me" on the barrel. Press action down to pillars which should squish clay to correct height. Remove barrel slowly and trim clay with Xacto knife. Not the slickest way, but works for me. Good luck

Stiller SA Predator

Have you read this-https://mcmillanusa.com/pillar-bedding-article-part-i/ I didnt. I have bedded wood stocks without pillers. Was not heard of at the time. But in a way the brownells accu glass run down, doing the same. Old Rem 40x rifles had a bit of bedding just behind the lug. That is it.

Ok read that article and I see now that the .035 gap they referred to allows the bedding compound to be uniform instead of bedding compound then pillars and so forth. But if the pillars are installed at the factory would I just relieve the area around the pillars and just allow the bedding compound to take a natural form around the pillars and under the action with no compound between the action and pillars? If this makes any since?

In our case (McMillan,) we have had customers question whether or not to even put pillars in because with .035 of bedding materials covering the top of the pillar, you have to look really close to see it.
The pillers do not contact the action, with the McMillan method.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.