Bedding a New Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather SS

Doc7

Hello all,

I will be getting this rifle soon. It is sold in a Bell & Carlson stock with aluminum bedding block. From various reviews online from years past, it may or may not be "skim bedded" with hot glue.

NO 6. All stocks need pillars, even stocks with bedding blocks

This link has some points in it that make a lot of sense to me, particularly: "Both the H-S Precision, and the Bell & Carlson Medalist stocks have an aluminum bedding block with a machined bedding surface. Also, we know that our rifles receiver is a machined part. Since these two parts are both machined, it seems logical that when we assemble these two items, we should only have to install the guard screws, tighten them, and be done with it. This seems especially true with a Remington, where you are placing a round receiver against a "V Block".

But wait, is your action straight? Most are not! The heat treat process occurs AFTER the reciever is fully machined.
During this heat treat process, each receiver will warp in its own small, but unique way. This warpage, by itself, prevents a stress free fit of the receiver to the bedding block.

Accu-Risers and epoxy are not just the easiest way to deal with this warpage, but the most accurate way as well."

So my questions are as follows:

a) If doing this with his accuriser pillars, do I need to remove the bedding the rifle comes with or do I bed simply on top of it?

b) He coats the areas to be bedded with compound and then inserts the barreled action into the stock and tightens action screws to 10 in-lbs. I am imagining that some bedding compound rides on top of the screws all the way into the bedded action as he does this. Does the screw still screw back out at the end or is there a special procedure? I am also imagining that that compound riding on top of the screw will never move from that 10 in-lb location where it stops so how does the screw tighten further after it is hardened up there?

I have one of these rifles and my friends have two. All have had trigger jobs or trigger replacements and that is. All are shooters. I mean like 1/2 MOA or less shooters. I wouldn't do anything but a trigger mod to it. They are very accurate production rifles.

I have one of these rifles and my friends have two. All have had trigger jobs or trigger replacements and that is. All are shooters. I mean like 1/2 MOA or less shooters. I wouldn't do anything but a trigger mod to it. They are very accurate production rifles.

Without bedding it will it hold zero after removal from stock?

The scope and the barreled action, in theory at least, are what are zeroed to each other. The stock is only there to allow you a safe grip to shoot it. Of course I am exposing myself to ground fire be uttering such blasphemy:)

The scope and the barreled action, in theory at least, are what are zeroed to each other. The stock is only there to allow you a safe grip to shoot it. Of course I am exposing myself to ground fire be uttering such blasphemy:)

In theory is correct. Reality is the fit of the stock does make a difference in zero. It does not always change zero when the stock is removed, but it can and does.

I have had the stocks off of my rifles before and it hasn't changed zero. But, on one of rifles I shot two horrible groups and could not figue it out. I checked the screws on the stock and they were loose. I tighten them up and the groups were tightened up. So, although I didn't remove the stock, just changing the torque of the action screws against the receiever made a huge difference. I have since bedded the entire action. I wonder if it would have the same results.

D7, you should not need pillars with the B&C stock having the aluminum bedding block. I have always seen improved performance with the epoxy bedding of any stock. Use the search on this site for bedding info and the members here will assist you also. I recently bedded a Model 70 338 Win mag and found it one of the easiest beddings I have done. I agree with Bigcat, the trigger does need work by a licensed gunsmith on this model. Good luck

D7, if the B&C stock is bedded, just remove enough of the new bedding to allow the epoxy something to grip.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts