Bear protection handguns?

I don't carry a handgun on top of a rifle either.

But I do know a man who saved his life while his face was inside the jaws of a brown bear, using his chest holstered, backup .44 Mag S&W.

His rifle was a Rem semi-auto 30-06, which jammed as the bear charged him from the winter kill moose carcass it had claimed for its spring time dinner.

Last edited:
I don't carry a handgun on top if a rifle either.

But I do know a man who saved his life while his face was inside the jaws of a brown bear, using his chest holsters, backup .44 Mag S&W.

His rifle was a Rem semi-auto 30-06, which jammed as the bear charged him from the winter kill moose carcass it had claimed for its spring time dinner.
Thank you for sharing.

I have forgotten how cumbersome a handgun is when carrying a rifle at the same time. 73-74 at Cape Lisburne, Alaska, we hiked along the shores of the Arctic Ocean. All of us either had 41 or 44 Mag Rugers as they were only 75 bucks through the AAFES. After a couple of trips down the beach with both rifle and handgun, the latter stayed in the quarters.

Thank you for sharing.

I have forgotten how cumbersome a handgun is when carrying a rifle at the same time. 73-74 at Cape Lisburne, Alaska, we hiked along the shores of the Arctic Ocean. All of us either had 41 or 44 Mag Rugers as they were only 75 bucks through the AAFES. After a couple of trips down the beach with both rifle and handgun, the latter stayed in the quarters.

I learned a very long time ago.....it's either one or the other! Carrying both is simply not practical/comfortable/efficient .....unless the handgun is a lightweight, smallish handgun for taking small game while hunting! JMO memtb

I think you mistyped that man…
I don't think it's possible to push a bullet that big in the 44 without a custom twist. Even if you could push it down a 26" rifle barrel, I think you'd be quite lucky to safely realize 1500fps.
I used to hotrod my custom 16" Marlin chambered in 44 Mag with a stretched action to handle a COAL of 1.74" and with a HEAVY dose of H110, I could only get 320gr hardcasts just over 1700' in that gun.
I thank you wilkup. I'm still recovering from Brain fog literly Covid Pnemonia , just got out of the hostpital the 8th. Ruger Super Blackhawk single shot 7.5 inch stainless barrel shooting Buffalo Bore Dangerous Game Heavy 44Mag 265 gr Mono-Metal 1425fps /ME 1195. Thats the one I carry in camp with a Kodiak chest holster in grizz country north central Idaho.

Attachments

• 20211125_145414.jpg
    20211125_145414.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 84
  • 20211125_145431.jpg
    20211125_145431.jpg
    902.6 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
Bought this just for the trip to San Juan National Forest.

G40 MOS, RMR 6 MOA Dot, KKM barrel, Carver brake, Kenai holster. Double Tap hard cast

View attachment 314482

Ditched it after a day, rifle at port arms was plenty assuring for me.

G40 might be up for sale minus the RMR 6 MOA dot that will be transferred to the SIG M17.
Looks like you might have to start drawing on Sunday to shoot that bear on Monday. :) :) :) Love my G40MOS with Leupy, but, yours looks L-O-N-G!!!!!

Looks like you might have to start drawing on Sunday to shoot that bear on Monday. :) :) :) Love my G40MOS with Leupy, but, yours looks L-O-N-G!!!!!
The barrel for the brake added the length, however it recoils like a 9mm, and makes lots of noise. Most likely noise is all that's needed... lol

Last edited:
I got rid of my Ruger SRH revolvers in 454mag and 44mag because the barrels were too long and the guns too heavy. I settled on a S&W 629 in 5". It's much easier to carry. I don't believe that I'll ever need it to stop a charging bear but I do carry it for protection while afield. I've shot a few deer with the 44, just for the heck of it, and I might try to whack a fat hog with it in a few weeks.

Last edited: